Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone try OWB Appendix Carry?

Anyone try OWB Appendix Carry?

Just looking to see if anyone has a some holster recommendations. I have tried AIWB and although it works for me to an extent, I would rather have an OWB when I carry my Glock. I know it sounds a little silly and if the gun goes off it will matter very little (if any) whether it is outside or in, it just makes me feel a little more warm and fuzzy.

I have tried some of my other OWB holsters like Sidearmor, Blade-Tech, and Alabama Holster but they all ride a little high and because of their non pancake design, jut out a little bit more then what I like.

It will be mostly used for duty use so it needs to be durable. Anyone try Pitbull holsters? Seem to be like RCS just a little more readily available. All ideas welcome!

Thanks, Chip

Some of the guys that are more experienced with appendix carry can probably speak with more authority here, but I have a feeling you're going to have trouble getting the gun held tight enough against the body with OWB.

Site Supporter
    You mentioned duty use, so I'm a bit confused. Are you talking about AOWB while still trying to conceal it, or unconcealed AOWB.

I'm no expert here, but I thought the whole point of AIWB carry was concealibility and accessiblilty. I've never even heard of AOWB carry and personally I don't see it working. Todd is the expert here. I'm sure he will enlighten us all soon. I'm interested to hear what somebody who has really embraced AIWB has to say about this.

If AWIB is not for you, going OWB appendix will not be either. I don't think this is a fruitful line of thought.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    If AWIB is not for you, going OWB appendix will not be either. I don't think this is a fruitful line of thought.
    It is not that exclusive. All the mechanical advantages of Appendix Carry, keeping everything forward of your hips, would still apply whether it is inside or outside the belt. Of course concealability is compromised but it might not actually be important for their use and comfort would trump concealable...though an OWB holster meant for strong side carry might actually be less comfortable when carried appendix.

It is not a fruitless idea but it certainly does seem to have a very limited scope of use.

I've got several excellent straight drop OWB Talon Tactical holsters - their A10 kydex holster. I'll use those to try this out. I think it might work with a loose enough shirt.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Duty use for me is concealed and typically in shorts and a t-shirt or jeans and a hoodie. I rarely work completely undercover and as such if my gun is noticed, I am fine.

I am not trying to reinvent the wheel or anything, just trying to see if anyone else has some ideas, suggestions, or experience.

I like the speed and draw stroke from appendix carry. I have even tried my typical OWB holsters and it works ok. I agree the butt of the gun does not pull in as tight as the IWB, but I just thought with the striker fired Glock that I would feel (a little girlish here) a little bit better putting the gun back in the holster if it was not inside my pants.

I am having a hard time because I love the P30 and it fits the role of IWB appendix great. Downside is that I shoot my GLock a lot better and as such I want to try it out as well (just not inside my pants).

Thanks Again,

I carried my G17 with x300 aowb in a raven LC holster for about three to four months. I switched to aiwb and concealability obviously increased ten fold, but the comfort level fell as the rig is quite large. I've since found a relatively comfy spot around 2 o'clock as wearing it at 1 o'clock was not working as it would dig in my thigh and hurt (I did not have this issue when the rig was worn owb).
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Some very serious guys I know have carried AOWB for years, but using a standard "FBI" cant holster, typically a Desantis, if I recall correctly. Never worked for me, either for comfort or grip angle, but it certainly works for some.

User Tag List