Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone try OWB Appendix Carry?

When I first qualified on the M9 in the USMC, we were actually taught to carry it AOWB. This would be with a duty belt(aka cartridge belt, war belt, ect) and the Bianchi M12 universal holster. The reasoning is that is where your hands naturally fall, so that's where the gun should be. So we were taught to put the holster at about the 2 O'Clock position. Very different from when I carry my P2000 AIWB with a CCC Looper, where it's about 12:30, very close to center line.

I would think a nice crossdraw holster would work well for AOWB. Mitch Rosen makes some nice OWB crossdraw holsters, like the Slim-X, that I think might work well for you if you're interested.

Anyone try OWB Appendix Carry?

Apologies for necropost.

I did a search for "best AOWB holster" and oddly this thread came up. So I thought I would add my experience, and ask a few questions.

I purchased a Mitch Rosen Upper Limit Express leather holster last year for my P30SK LEM. It's worked extremely well for me in my application. I carry it on a MR Express line 1 1/2" leather belt. The only mod I've done is the Melody Lauer holster hack of adding a Dr. Scholl's womens gel insert velcro'd underneath to give it a slight inward tilt.

My normal attire is non-descript cargo pants and size L button down plaid SS shirts (basically, old retired guy rig.) My wife and I travel in an RV, so I'm normally walking the dog, or driving the truck, or maintaining the RV, or sightseeing and what not.

What I like about the Upper Limit worn AOWB is that it places the pistol at a very good position for my draw. I used my rig in my two-day Givens class in June, and had no issues attributed to the holster. I also like the way the leather belt loops allow a bit of movement along the belt. I've found the holster shifts slightly during the day. So it might start out at 10:30, but end up at 930 after a stint driving the truck. It never moves over my belt line, but I'm ok with that.

I'm currently evaluating a move toward a more one-size fits all pistol. I currently shoot USPSA with a VP9 as a U shooter in P. Obviously this is a SFA, and very easy for me to shoot well. Just as obviously, my carry gun is a subcompact LEM, which is not as easy for me to shoot well (duh.)

Recognizing that having two different trigger systems is less than optimal, I'm mentally trying out a Glock 19 Gen 5 as a replacement for both these guns.

A G19 seems the perfect carry size at 15+1, 5" grip length and lightweight (for capacity.)

I have some time to make this decision, as we won't be back in FL for me to conduct an FFL transfer until Dec. I would like to continue using AOWB for a future Glock 19, based on my previous positive experience with a MR Upper Limit.

Given all that, I have a few questions for those of you with broader experience than I (which is most of you):

1) Any issues with regard to carrying a Glock 19 AOWB with zero cant, in regards to slide length, below the belt line, that would show under an untucked shirt?

2) With regard to leather vs. kydex, any issues or pros and cons with regard to a holster used AOWB?

3) In terms of design for AOWB, anything to look for specifically on the holster design, or is it just a typical holster with a zero cant that is worn AOWB?

4) Besides looking at JM Custom Kydex and DSG for OWB options (which I am starting to do), have you seen any really effective AOWB makers sized around a compact pistol like the G19?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by RJ; 09-13-2017 at 02:49 PM.

I did, for a while, before eventually going to AIWB. In the '11 / '12 time frame there was a company called Rhino Holsters that made a between the belt & waistband line of holsters. They had a soft loop that would go around the belt and a folded over kydex flap on the back that would go over the waistband.

At the time I was carrying a plain pistol (no WML) away from work. I was pretty happy with their holsters and mag pouches. They weren't thick, heavy duty pieces but for the role they are quite functional.

Name:  rhino1020309.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  68.9 KBName:  rhinoP1020326.jpg
Views: 1481
Size:  51.9 KB

The company is still around, selling their products here: http://codeoneconcealment.com/produc...rhinoholsters/

eta: I bought this variant of the holsters ... RhinoHolster SIS Upgrade

This holster was developed in conjunction with the LAPD’s elite undercover unit known as the “Special Investigation Section” or, S.I.S. We took the combined years of experience and actual in the field trials from the S.I.S. to design and build our new holster.

We are offering the SIS Holster for every make and model pistol that we offer our Original Rhinoholster in. The SIS holster sits approximately half an inch (.5″) higher than the Original Rhinoholster and is well suited for undercover law enforcement officers as well as personal and private use.

The officers of the legendary S.I.S. face life or death dangers on daily basis and require equipment they can trust their lives with, and we’re proud that they choose Rhinoholsters as their concealment holster.

Visit our store and purchase your very own Rhinoholster, you can upgrade any of our Original Rhinoholsters to the premium SIS version for an additional fee!
    Last edited by Erick Gelhaus; 09-13-2017 at 06:27 PM. Reason: add info

The Raven Concealment Systems Phantom with the MD (Magpul Dynamics) cut was intended for OWB carry forward of the hip. I've used the Raven and similar holsters in this capacity with a variety of pistols (mostly Glocks). I've found it a useful carry option, though the footprint of the RCS holster meant losing use of the front pocket. From a dated RCS FAQ...

MD Cut (pistol holster)- The MD Cut holster is designed to be carried OWB and forward of the hip (“two oclock“ for right handed shooters, “10 oclock“ for left handed shooters). The MD cut is a straight drop holster (no forward cant) with a reduced body shield.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    For a while Dale Fricke offered an AOWB holster, but I can't remember the model name. I own two of his Archangel holsters, and I've been very pleased with them. They don't tuck the butt of the gun in as well as a holster with a claw wing, but most of the time they work well for me. Also, the are absolutely the most comfortable AIWB holsters I own. If I'm going on a long drive, I make it a point to wear an Archangel. I'm pretty sure Dale would make an AOWB holster for you if you asked. The couple of times I've had questions or ideas, he was happy to bounce ideas around. Something with a slight reverse cant might be nice...

I find AOWB very comfortable, but like AIWB, not very concealable on my skinny frame, unless wearing a quite bulky cover garment. I have used numerous straight-drop holsters at AOWB, but have run out of time to type more; must suit-up and gear-up for work. (Being a police officer, I have been able to be quite casual about concealment, at least some of the time.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 09-13-2017 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post

Given all that, I have a few questions for those of you with broader experience than I (which is most of you):

1) Any issues with regard to carrying a Glock 19 AOWB with zero cant, in regards to slide length, below the belt line, that would show under an untucked shirt?

2) With regard to leather vs. kydex, any issues or pros and cons with regard to a holster used AOWB?

3) In terms of design for AOWB, anything to look for specifically on the holster design, or is it just a typical holster with a zero cant that is worn AOWB?

4) Besides looking at JM Custom Kydex and DSG for OWB options (which I am starting to do), have you seen any really effective AOWB makers sized around a compact pistol like the G19?

Thanks in advance.
    1) You will likely be fine here. Possible that an investment in LgTall cut shirts would be beneficial. Grab a post-it note and stick it to your UPL so that an extra inch is hanging down and check the mirror. That will be about where a G19 would sit.

2) I think you will get better concealment out of leather here. I have built a couple AOWB kydex holsters for range work, though about a concealment holster and scrapped the idea. Attachments that don't add bulk or too much width on the belt line are rough for kydex OWB.

3-4) @Dagga Boy has posted about much love and success with the JRC Holsters SSA for this kind of carry. I'm planning to order one from him this year during his annual sale. I think you will be best served with an Avenger/Professional style holster, of which the SSA is descended. These classic designs have a tunnel on the back of the holster for the leading loop and a slot beyond the trigger guard for the trailing loop to create a bit of tucking effect. Most makers have a variation; I want to say the MR version is the Sport? Privateer leather seems to have a few different ride heights offered in the style, and they may be willing to talk over a custom for exactly what you want. I'm sure JRC would as well, if he thought your intended use might be better served with a small tweak.

If you get a JRC, have him sew some loop backing on the muzzle so you can stick a pad or wedge to it.

I had good luck with rich @ ccc with my cz75 aiwb. Never tried aobw but may be worth asking him.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    1) You will likely be fine here. Possible that an investment in LgTall cut shirts would be beneficial. Grab a post-it note and stick it to your UPL so that an extra inch is hanging down and check the mirror. That will be about where a G19 would sit.

2) I think you will get better concealment out of leather here. I have built a couple AOWB kydex holsters for range work, though about a concealment holster and scrapped the idea. Attachments that don't add bulk or too much width on the belt line are rough for kydex OWB.

3-4) @Dagga Boy has posted about much love and success with the JRC Holsters SSA for this kind of carry. I'm planning to order one from him this year during his annual sale. I think you will be best served with an Avenger/Professional style holster, of which the SSA is descended. These classic designs have a tunnel on the back of the holster for the leading loop and a slot beyond the trigger guard for the trailing loop to create a bit of tucking effect. Most makers have a variation; I want to say the MR version is the Sport? Privateer leather seems to have a few different ride heights offered in the style, and they may be willing to talk over a custom for exactly what you want. I'm sure JRC would as well, if he thought your intended use might be better served with a small tweak.

If you get a JRC, have him sew some loop backing on the muzzle so you can stick a pad or wedge to it.
    I am planning on trying out this concept, when is that annual sale that you speak of? I am getting nearer to purchasing but $150 is too much coin for me to spend right now...

I found a thread here on that SSA holster....
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post203383

Quote Originally Posted by JRCHolsters View Post
    I haven't posted these holster to my website yet. I probably will do this next week, once I have time to take more pics of several holsters. All of you great folks at the P-F have been great to me, so I wanted to post these here first.

Here is my newest model,the SSA, based on customer requests.
    This Strong Side Nelson#1/Avenger inspired holster has been modified to use two rigid belt
    tunnels and I have removed the extra web of leather under the trigger guard to reduce bulk. It is molded with an inward cant, to bring the grip of the pistol in close to the body.
    This particular holster pictured, has a 5 degree muzzle forward rake. It can also be made with
    neutral rake or FBI rake.
    The streamlined reinforcement, coupled with a proprietary hardening process, make the SSA a
    very durable holster. Now of course, everything being custom, I can make this holster with the more traditional web of leather for those who just feel the need for it.

Last edited by Thy.Will.Be.Done; 09-14-2017 at 06:00 AM.

Dale Fricke's holster is called the, "Samuel."

When I worked on the armored trucks, I had an old, crossdraw Safariland SSIII for K/L frame revolvers. It was designed to be worn at 9:00 for a right handed shooter, but I wore it at 12:30. It was awesome for accessibility while driving, and when walking around. I used it for awhile. Of course, OWB on a duty belt is a whole other animal than what you're describing.

I've used Don Hume JIT slide holsters for AOWB carry. After I had my cardiac ablation surgery, my loins were raw for a couple months from the instrumentation. I couldn't stand to have anything in my waistband or putting pressure on me. So I invested in a couple JIT slides for a K frame and a J frame, and they worked great. They're slide holsters, but with a 1 7/8" and 2" barrel weapon, they cover the entirety of the barrel. It DOES help to wear a thicker belt...not a less rigid belt like you can get away with doing conventional AIWB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List