Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mission Drives the Gear Train - Home Defense Carbine

As far as climbing kids go:

I can also see a reason for Condition 3 being that you don't want to keep whacking expensive BHG ammo in the primer with a floating firing pin.

I go with lebowski's glock and a light at the bedside.

Plus I don't have an SBR that I can lean out of a door sideways easily.

This is the first I've heard of issues with the 20 rd PMAGs; is there more info/discussion elsewhere? I've not had an issue with the few that I have but they've also not been used as much as my 30s.

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    I can also see a reason for Condition 3 being that you don't want to keep whacking expensive BHG ammo in the primer with a floating firing pin.

I go with lebowski's glock and a light at the bedside.
    Good point. If you feel you need a carbine, after retrieving your handgun from the bedside, unlocking the carbine and loading up from condition 3 will take about the same amount of time. One could also argue that loading a magazine and/or chambering a round from condition 3 would be faster than retrieving your carbine from any locked case regardless of how fast you are with the combination lock or key.
    "Take the message to Garcia."

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I believe this is oftentimes referred to as "cruiser ready", correct?
    In my department cruiser ready is empty chamber with the safety activated.

Quote Originally Posted by vmi-mo View Post
    What is your reasoning for safety off/chamber empty vs. safety on?
    Jay got it. It is a thing known in LE circles as "cruiser ready" and it allows you to charge the weapon and have it immediately ready for use without messing with the safety. IMO, why do you need the safety on if the chamber is empty?
    Also, why the M1 carbine?
    Lightweight, easy to use, compact design, and for in-home use no need to adjust for holdover with the A1 sights.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    Jay got it. It is a thing known in LE circles as "cruiser ready" and it allows you to charge the weapon and have it immediately ready for use without messing with the safety.
    IMHO and based on my professional experience the safety should always be engaged until the weapon is coming up on target. It doesn't take a lot for the trigger to get caught on a piece of kit and cause an unintentional discharge. People have been unintentionally hurt and even killed with this type of mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKMASTER View Post
    IMHO and based on my professional experience the safety should always be engaged until the weapon is coming up on target. It doesn't take a lot for the trigger to get caught on a piece of kit and cause an unintentional discharge. People have been unintentionally hurt and even killed with this type of mentality.
    Agree 100%. The safety is never an inhibiter of employment. Also if the saftey is already on that is one less thing to have to do while readying the weapon.

PJ

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKMASTER View Post
    If the chamber is empty, how does the weapon discharge by catching the trigger on anything??? As for the "mentality, it seems to have worked well for LE for decades.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by vmi-mo View Post
    Agree 100%. The safety is never an inhibiter of employment. Also if the saftey is already on that is one less thing to have to do while readying the weapon.

PJ

Actually, with the shotgun (remember, "cruiser ready" comes from the LE world which until recently used the shottie as the main long gun) the safety can only be activated if the weapon is already cocked, and if it is cocked you can't operate the slide. So by having the safety on you do have to go through some extra manipulation to get the gun into firing mode. I'm not saying that is the only way to do it, but when one has spent years training in deploying a weapon in a certain way there is something to be said for commonality in use, so lots of us old LEO types are used to not activating the safety until the chamber is charged.
    Last edited by David Armstrong; 02-28-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    Actually, with the shotgun (remember, "cruiser ready" comes from the LE world which until recently used the shottie as the main long gun) the safety can only be activated if the weapon is already cocked, and if it is cocked you can't operate the slide. So by having the safety on you do have to go through some extra manipulation to get the gun into firing mode. I'm not saying that is the only way to do it, but when one has spent years training in deploying a weapon in a certain way there is something to be said for commonality in use.
    I am speaking specifically to the AR platform. There is too wide of a range of shotguns to give hard and fasts.

I personally feel the safety should be on unless you are about to engage a target. As Glockmaster stated it helps to reduce the risk of a negligent discharge.

There are alot of things that have been trained for years that make no sense.

PJ

User Tag List