Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Competition Sight Choices

Competition Sight Choices

I have been using a standard black Dawson sight with a narrow FO red front since I started shooting a few years ago. My new Glock 34 just arrived and I am now reconsidering my choices in sights. I am currently ranked EX and plan to shoot the 34 next year on my quest for MA. My knee jerk reaction is to just run out and buy another set of Dawson’s as I think they are pretty great, but they are a little difficult to use on the low light stages and I kind of like Amerigo combo front sight I keep on my home defense gun (GL-212-OR-C) matched with a black rear. I know most folks say to use what you carry but I live in MD and we do not yet have the right to carry. So my question to you all is what do you recommend in a competition only sight?
    Thanks!

Maybe a Heinie ledge with the tip of the front sight painted neon red? During the day it would be somewhat close (I think) to your Dawson setup and would offer night sights for low light.

My only concern is the width of the front sight. I'm not sure how similar a narrow front Dawson setup will look compared to the Heinie setup.

*edit* This is my plan, I don't know how close the sight pictures will be. I can tell you I tried the Ameriglo I-dot Pro setup for my carry pistol to have something close to my DP fiberoptic and they look nothing alike. The big orange ball on the I-dot completely overwhelms the sight picture compared to the thin (.100) DP fiberoptic. I find it very difficult to shoot the I-dot accurately at distance (~25 yds) compared to the thin DP fiberoptic.
    Last edited by Noleshooter; 09-05-2013 at 02:11 PM.

I am actually just now trying out a (Dawson) FO front sight on my practice/competition gun. So my opinion of it is not formed yet.

But my overall favorite sights for competition - for me that's USPSA and GSSF - are Ameriglo Defoors (fully black.)

I do not find fully black sights easier to see. I do find them to force me to be better and more disciplined at seeing them. I also think they rope me into paying attention to the most precise parts of the sight picture: the top edges and the light bars.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I really like the heinie ledge painted and the tritium versions would work well

I use a Dawson (.110) front w/green FO and a 10-8 (.140) rear, and thus far it is my favorite sight set-up. The nice thing about the Dawson front sights is there are sooooo many options. Some of my older carry guns have the Heinie Ledge Straight-8 sights on them. You can easily get a Heinie rear and pair it with a Dawson front of the same width and height of the Heinie tritium front. The green FO is a very similar sight picture to the Heinie tritium fronts, though the FO burns brighter during the day. If you don't want to do the work, Warren Tactical has some great sets that will serve your purpose, both FO and tritium.

Thanks all for your imputs thus far!

I looked at the 10-8, Dawson, and Heinie rears and I can't really figure out the difference between them. I know they come in different widths, but is there any other reason to pick on or the other?

10-8 uses a "U" shaped notch, Heinie and Dawson use a square notch, warren uses both.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Thanks all for your imputs thus far!

I looked at the 10-8, Dawson, and Heinie rears and I can't really figure out the difference between them. I know they come in different widths, but is there any other reason to pick on or the other?
    I think they are all so similar that you can't go wrong either way. I do like that heinie melonites.

I have not tried a U shapped sight in a while. I had a set (warren) on an M&P a few years ago and at speed I seemed to put the fiber in the bottom of the U causing all my shots to all be really low. Anyone else do that? I am likely the only one with this issue, but I could not seem to correct it so I sold the sights.

Check out the "Vogel" sights on the Taran Tactical Innovations website. I just put a set on my G34 IDPA gun and like them just far. I was previously using a very thin painted front post and black rear from Ameriglo. That combo worked well for me but I wanted to try the FO front. The TTI set came with both a red and green rod. I am using the green rod.

I haven't shot a match with them yet as I just put them on a week or so ago but have been to the range once to zero. I like them a lot so far. I would prefer the rear notch to be just a smidge wider though.

User Tag List