Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Is Time Really an Illusion?

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I've never been in a gunfight in which I wished I achieved fight stopping hits slower than I achieved them, or wished that more failed to hit that which needed to be hit.
    /thread

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I've never been in a gunfight in which I wished I achieved fight stopping hits slower than I achieved them, or wished that more failed to hit that which needed to be hit. Guess I'm not very sporting in that aspect of life.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    So not sporting...

It's a balance the whole speed and accuracy - and on that given day one can only hope to make the best judgement between that balance.

Note I say hope, because at the end of the day, there is still an element of luck involved. Train to be the best you can be, your training and previous life experiences will help you judge the best balance for the situations you find yourselves in.

Some day no matter what you do, it will be the end, and the best you can do then is have a good death.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I'm sorry, dude, I just think that's a really poor example. From the intro of the redacted report:

I don't think that relates to the theory that shooting "too fast splits" will somehow land someone in jail. There's a giant gap between launching a burst into a legitimate threat and not knowing the magical moment when your last bullet "would have been enough" versus shooting an unarmed guy in the back twice, then twice more (in the back) once he's on the ground. That wasn't a problem of fast splits.
    I was not trying to address the issue of 'splits' there, but rather that the threat can and will change, even in the same engagement.

To be fair, the asshole was armed - he had just pitched the gun, he made furtive movements, etc. He gave every indication he was going to engage, all the things we teach. The review panel found that his first two shots were 'ok' but that the second were 'probably not ok'.

This is to my point, that we can't just blindly PULL TRIGGER AHHH on bad guys, sometimes even if they are a deadly force threat. There have been two instances in my career where I had to let the trigger go because my background was not clear and I had to hope I was not going to get shot - all because I couldn't shoot a bystander.

How fast can you shoot AND think AND reassess? That is my point.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    So not sporting...

It's a balance the whole speed and accuracy - and on that given day one can only hope to make the best judgement between that balance.

Note I say hope, because at the end of the day, there is still an element of luck involved. Train to be the best you can be, your training and previous life experiences will help you judge the best balance for the situations you find yourselves in.

Some day no matter what you do, it will be the end, and the best you can do then is have a good death.
    I'd much rather be lucky than good. Unfortunately for me if I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all..

User Tag List