Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Experience Forearm/Elbow Pain From Shooting?

Anybody Experience Forearm/Elbow Pain From Shooting?

I've been having forearm and elbow pain lately, I have a physical job and use my arms continuously. If I grab something stronghand and lift (heavy item) I get a dull achey pain in the forearm and if done repeatedly in my elbow also. I have notice after a range session it is agitated and it might be throwing off my accuracy. Maybe I'm just king konging the grip but I don't believe so. 9mm is all I have been shooting and about 300-400 rounds a week ( 600 on a heavy two day weekend).

I have to make some time to see the doc, but figured some of the esteemed here might have had the same problem at some point and might help me brace myself with some bad news.

I have but sort of like your scenario, I actually have injured my support hand, strong wrist, strong elbow on different occassions; usually from weight training - but then even 9mm for a couple hundred rounds would aggravate it. But the injuries healed and I've not had just 9mm initiate any discomfort.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    I've been having forearm and elbow pain lately, I have a physical job and use my arms continuously. If I grab something stronghand and lift (heavy item) I get a dull achey pain in the forearm and if done repeatedly in my elbow also. I have notice after a range session it is agitated and it might be throwing off my accuracy. Maybe I'm just king konging the grip but I don't believe so. 9mm is all I have been shooting and about 300-400 rounds a week ( 600 on a heavy two day weekend).

I have to make some time to see the doc, but figured some of the esteemed here might have had the same problem at some point and might help me brace myself with some bad news.
    I've never had anything similar. I would recommend seeing a doctor.

Do you lock your elbows out while shooting? If so, stop. I took a class from Bruce Gray who's had all kinds of ortho problems after shooting like that.

But, I have pulled a forearm muscle after dry firing a 10lb trigger to death. It was ok in a couple days.
    All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

No I do not lock my elbows out at all.

I'm going to try to get into the doc next week. It's just strange that I can't pinpoint a time that I injured it. There was no traumatic experience at all and nothing out of the norm at work nor shooting. But then again I do a ton of repetitious movement at work so that just might be the root cause of my issue. I also use spray triggers heavily so it does mimmic the clenching of your fist/pulling a heavy trigger ect.

Just happened to come upon this thread. I'll be back in a few to comment on this. I have some information that may help you.

Sounds like tendonitis to me. I have it in both forearms.

No real clear treatment for it, I find that (RICE) rest, ice, compression and elevation works.

Mine flares up at odd times. You can learn to live with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tendinitis

Recommend swimming; particularly freestyle followed by half an hour of treading water.

I have some experience with this sort of thing.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    I've been having forearm and elbow pain lately, I have a physical job and use my arms continuously. If I grab something stronghand and lift (heavy item) I get a dull achy pain in the forearm and if done repeatedly in my elbow also. I have notice after a range session it is agitated and it might be throwing off my accuracy. Maybe I'm just king konging the grip but I don't believe so. 9mm is all I have been shooting and about 300-400 rounds a week ( 600 on a heavy two day weekend).

From your case presentation everything points to a repetitive stress, overuse syndrome that is presenting itself as tendonititis(Acute phase)/tendonosis(Chronic phase).

This is something that your MD, Chiropractor, physical therapist, massage therapist or acupuncturist can handle.

Because its a repetitive/overuse injury its important to consider the RICE protocol. The most important being rest. The constant use, movement of your arm is increasing inflammation of the soft/connective tissues of the arm.

The following may help

Rest/Mirobreaks
    Ice
    Active Release Therapy
    Graston/A-Stim
    Stretching
    Frequent Microbreaks
    Massage
    Manipulation/Mobilization of the Shoulders, Elbows and Wrists
    "Tennis Elbow" Brace.
    Stretching with ROM exercises
    Anti-inflammatories/cortizone injections
    BioFreeze
    Band Exercises
    Acupressure
    Acupuncture

Bottom line get some therapy for it soon before it becomes chronic. Its much harder to treat when its chronic. You may want to talk to your employer about being placed on modified duty until your arm improves. If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me.

We are diminished
    Guys, 45R has my personal endorsement in these matters. He's both a serious shooter and a chiro who has helped me personally when I've had some shooting-related aches and injuries. The whole reason I can still pick up a gun after 50,000 rounds of full power .45 shooting last year is thanks to Doctor 45R. He and another good friend (Kurt Von Rice in Phoenix) are the only two guys I'd trust in these matters.

User Tag List