Thread: How hot can night sights get?

How hot can night sights get?

In thinking of refinishing the slide on my Kahr with Alumahide but would like to worm it up in the over first. It has Trijicon’s on there now and I want to make sure I don’t over heat them.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    In thinking of refinishing the slide on my Kahr with Alumahide but would like to worm it up in the over first. It has Trijicon’s on there now and I want to make sure I don’t over heat them.
    The general rule of thumb regarding temperature I've heard is "Don't put the sights anyplace you don't think you'd survive."
    I, myself, probably wouldn't hack it at 250°F for a couple hours...

I'm not sure how connected it is, but the run of re-finished HK P7M8 guns imported back in the late Nineties were notorious for spitting the white plastic inserts out of their three-dot sights... (I took a white plastic shiv between the running lights. Not that I'm bitter, or anything...)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Sights should come off the gun durring a refinish. If the sights themselves need to be refinished then the tritium inserts should come out.
    Heirloom Preicison
    www.heirloomprecision.com

Site Supporter
    The sights should come off the gun. I have no idea how it would handle that heat with extended bake times.

FWIW: During some mid-summer King-Of-the-Mountain plate rack competitions, I've had my slide so hot I couldn't touch it. Actually, I couldn't touch the slide lock either. When it rained, I could hear it sizzling on the slide. My tritium sights survived.

Brownells recommends warming the part to about 90 degrees. That’s not very hot so I just put the slide in my toaster oven until it was a little hot to the touch.
    Taking off the sights would have been more trouble then it’s worth, I was just fooling around out of boredom.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Brownells recommends warming the part to about 90 degrees. That’s not very hot so I just put the slide in my toaster oven until it was a little hot to the touch.
    Taking off the sights would have been more trouble then it’s worth, I was just fooling around out of boredom.
    Ninety isn't going to hurt anything. I'd have to come in out of the garage and do the refinishing in the house just to get the temp down to 90 degrees.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List