Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I like the LEM as a "street trigger"

In lieu of slide racking during dry fire practice, does anyone take up the trigger slack in the first stage and pull the hammer back with your thumb the rest of the way so the trigger is always the same? This way you skip the ejecting/collecting/reloading of snap caps and additional wear from slide racking.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbj22 View Post
    In lieu of slide racking during dry fire practice, does anyone take up the trigger slack in the first stage and pull the hammer back with your thumb the rest of the way so the trigger is always the same? This way you skip the ejecting/collecting/reloading of snap caps and additional wear from slide racking.
    When I had a LEM P30, I just racked the slide without a snap cap .Unless I was practicing malfunction clearances , I'd re-rack to simulate the reset.Another good thing about the LEM is it has a DA second strike capability, so you can still practice your DA trigger press in dry fire .It's not likely you'll need it life fire since that necessitates a dead round,but that keeps your DA skills from atrophying.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    It's not likely you'll need it life fire since that necessitates a dead round,but that keeps your DA skills from atrophying.
    Shouldn't your default action be a tap-rack when you think you have a dead round, rather than trying to pull the trigger again - on an already questionable round?

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Shouldn't your default action be a tap-rack when you think you have a dead round, rather than trying to pull the trigger again - on an already questionable round?
    Winna winna chicken dinna...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbj22 View Post
    After the second Flat Spring breakage, I casually mentioned I was using this method to our armorer. He was NOT impressed. I guess it tends to put strain on both the Flat Spring as well as the hammer strut. When I stopped doing it, I haven't had any further issues FWIW.

I never thought much of practice using the long/heavy pull as part of a practice regimen. I figure, like every other weapon, a failure to fire gets a "tap/rack/bang". If the Flat Spring decides to fail in the heat of battle, I probably won't likely notice that horrendous pull.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    As a trainer primarily focused on training first responders, this is why I am liking the LEM so much. I think it is the system for most LEO's.
    I understand the reasoning behind this that you've outlined in your very first post, but do you think most LEOs could get to a good level of proficiency with it and maintain it well?
    Or is it more along the lines of LEM being easier than DA/SA yet safer to hold people under than Glock?

Reason for the question is a personal experience of slower learning curve and higher intensity of a maintenance with LEM than with Glocks. I can literally pick the Glock up, dry fire the angle of presentation, go through a couple of live sessions and shoot it at 80-90% of my performance of 2 years ago when I switched to P30. With LEM, a few weeks of no practice were really detrimental till I got to 12-15K through it.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I understand the reasoning behind this that you've outlined in your very first post, but do you think most LEOs could get to a good level of proficiency with it and maintain it well?
    Or is it more along the lines of LEM being easier than DA/SA yet safer to hold people under than Glock?

Reason for the question is a personal experience of slower learning curve and higher intensity of a maintenance with LEM than with Glocks. I can literally pick the Glock up, dry fire the angle of presentation, go through a couple of live sessions and shoot it at 80-90% of my performance of 2 years ago when I switched to P30. With LEM, a few weeks of no practice were really detrimental till I got to 12-15K through it.
    Keep in mind that a majority of cops shoot only when they have to. You know all those people on the internet who need their Glock sights adjusted because they are shooting low and left........same thing. For solid shooters, they have much higher standards and see far more differences than those who rarely train and shoot. The key for most of them is some level of basic consistency over several years. As a trainer who spent most of his time with people who were students because they had to and not because they wanted to. Getting them to shoot anything well is a chore. As long as the training was consistent, I do not see any issues. We would have FAR less ND's while clearing the gun for cleaning.

On the other hand, they are handling the things all the time and pointing them at people all the time, so having the gun that is more forgiving on the handling side out weighs the shooting side in my experience.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Oh,absolutely.If it won't fire once it's outta there,period.I was referring to keeping your DA skillset for the sake of other platforms."Double Strike" is tantamount to gambling.

Depending how fast you are shooting you might double or triple strike before being able to think "tap, rack, bang"

You can go through the rest of the mag without knowing it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Danjojo View Post
    Depending how fast you are shooting you might double or triple strike before being able to think "tap, rack, bang"

You can go through the rest of the mag without knowing it happened.
    Have you tried it with LEM?

User Tag List