Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Perfect Shot Timer

Snake on my CED

We don't need to redesign anything. They just need to put Snake on the CED 7000.

Quote Originally Posted by lairdb View Post
    Everything in this smacks of letting someone with a bigger target market do the hardware development, and then leveraging their hardware platform -- but the existence of CED and PACT suggest that device development is at least marginally do-able.
    (Following up my own note; sorry.)

Couple of different angles:

Develop device:
    Quick assumptions on developing a hardware device (rather than an app for someone else's):
    - Trade repair-ability for robustness.
    - Communication is important for downloading and/or live feed and upgrade-ability.
    - Minimal capitalization for development.

Quick-starting: Use the ArduinoBT as the development platform. (Benefits: bluetooth; analog and digital inputs and outputs; strong development suite and community.) Add: LCD display module, microphone, 4 or 6 buttons, one horn. Make provision for stop-plate jacks, but don't include in the base build.

Development target hardware: ~$500 bench cost, plus some assembly labor. That allows for some slop, so presume that fielded prototypes for testing and evaluation run about $300.

Final production: Some engineering investment comes in here, to duplicate the ArduinoBT circuitry (it's open source, but you'd want to redo the layout to add your own components and optimize for production) and to build a switch array and body. Build with a battery tube taking 2xAA and a screw-on o-ring sealed cap. Epoxy pot the whole thing; the only exposed parts are the display-and-button assembly, the horn and the battery cap. SWAG at the naked COGS is about $110. Add $20 for retail packaging and shipping overpack, you're at $130 sitting on the dock ready to ship. You need at least 40% GM, distributor and retailer each need at least 20%. $130*1.4=$182 to the distributor; $182*1.25*1.25=$284. $299 retail; markdowns are the retailer's problem.

All of this assumes that development labor is essentially free, or at least deferred compensation to be paid back over time out of the profit.

Develop software for another device:
    [Fairly obvious (both upsides and downsides); left mostly as an exercise. In your answer, do not neglect the necessity of application design, be sure to address compromises inherent in using a non-purpose-built target; be sure to address licencing costs. Neglect for the moment any issues of cross-platform development and dependency on third-party hardware.]

Don't develop:
    Crowdsource the requirements and application design. We have a ready-made crowd here who are SMEs in multiple possible fields-of-use. Iterate and refine, with the engineering and business literate members being the Designated Grinches.

Once we reach a requirements set and UI design that appears to be there, Todd approaches CED, PACT, etc. with an offer to license the design and his endorsement. Let them leverage their existing hardware and firmware groups, manufacturing partners, and distribution channels.
    Last edited by lairdb; 05-19-2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: fixt speling.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    On a serious note, why not consult some elecro geeks, give them a timer and the promise of a check (I am sure there are enough guys here to buy one) if they can produce results. A basic timer seems pretty simple to get working and we have multiple examples to tear apart and get an idea of the guts needed. Give them a footprint to work within and let them have at it.
    It's not cheap though. I work for a contract product design house. This kind of product is exactly the sort of thing we do. Off the top of my head, I'd ballpark the design work in the $100k-$150k range.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    Small world, but Jar, you and I shoot with some board-fabricators...

This was essentially my issue. The board design and layout isn't that difficult, until you start thinking about vibe, shock, and ESD.

Some pretty serious implications for processing power, power use, and dedicated chip cost. Probably layout complications, too.
    It's funny, I don't really know what most of the local shooters do. It would probably be a great networking opportunity if we talked about it more.

The board design and software is definitely the easy part, but that's probably partially colored by the fact it's the part we know how to do.

Bluetooth is pretty expensive to put in a product at this volume. There are two broad approaches, buy a ready made bluetooth module and integrate it or buy a bt radio chip and roll your own. Modules run about $20 in quantity. Rolling your own is cheaper, but there's a much larger development cost, FCC testing, etc. You'd need a market of at least 10k/year to consider it.

I'm guessing an electronics-inclined friend of Todd's is or will soon be in a basement somewhere working on this. Anyone care to start an over/under on time until the next gadget announcement?

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    For me the timer would not pick up all of the shots. I suspect this has more to do with the microphone than anything as it would vary by case.
    Same for mine.....
    GeorgiaCarry.Org Life Member
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Ad addendum to Todd's list:
    Display: Polarized glasses friendly. I hate the rainbow effect the new timers get when you're wearing polarized glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by lairdb View Post

Quick-starting: Use the ArduinoBT as the development platform. (Benefits: bluetooth; analog and digital inputs and outputs; strong development suite and community.) Add: LCD display module, microphone, 4 or 6 buttons, one horn. Make provision for stop-plate jacks, but don't include in the base build.
    The Arduino looks like an interesting setup. My experience is with the Intel 8051 and Microchip PIC products but that was 15 years ago. A lot has changed since then.

The biggest concern I can see is the speed of the inputs, especially when timing to .01 second resolution.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    The biggest concern I can see is the speed of the inputs, especially when timing to .01 second resolution.
    Pfft. Ten milliseconds is an eternity, easily handled in software, unless we try to do lots of other things simultaneously.

The board design and software is definitely the easy part, but that's probably partially colored by the fact it's the part we know how to do.
    Heh, this is true.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    Pfft. Ten milliseconds is an eternity, easily handled in software, unless we try to do lots of other things simultaneously.

Heh, this is true.
    I'm currently working on something that times down to 333ns. It could easily go to 1/4 that if necessary. Actually, it just occurred to me I could use this as a shot timer. It's an ultrasound range measurement system. It does sound pulse threshold detection in hardware with a software controlled threshold. Replace the ultrasound transducer with a microphone and you're there. Of course it can only generate a square wave beep, which would sound pretty nasty.

ETA: my brief glance at arduino says it's great for hobbyists, but I wouldn't use it in a commercial product

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    I'm currently working on something that times down to 333ns. It could easily go to 1/4 that if necessary. Actually, it just occurred to me I could use this as a shot timer. It's an ultrasound range measurement system. It does sound pulse threshold detection in hardware with a software controlled threshold. Replace the ultrasound transducer with a microphone and you're there. Of course it can only generate a square wave beep, which would sound pretty nasty.
    Doing the threshold detection in hardware would unload the processor a LOT, but it would also make it a little less flexible. In my noodling, the only specific-purpose hardware was the horn -- and if we could get decent volume out of a speaker, that could be general-purpose too. (And it's not like the processor is doing a lot else; the ATMega is ludicrously overpowered for a shot timer. PIC would be a cheaper choice if variable costs were pivotal -- but using the Arduino building blocks would be *so* quick a path to having a mature and robust development target.)

(In fact, the project might be able to recoup some costs by selling the resulting device to the Arduino hobby community without the shot timer software as a general-purpose platform.)

(jar, how are you handling echo cancellation? Echo cancellation and auto-sensitivity are bouncing in the back of my head as the tricky bits; the rest is dirt-simple.)

P.S. for the geek squad: if you haven't read Cory Doctorow's Makers, give it a try.

User Tag List