Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: The Perfect Shot Timer

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Goddamn, that's really cool. May I share out the link to this post on other forums?
    Sure - please feel free! Worst case scenario people criticize my janky code - but that's the beauty - if they don't like it they can fix it.

Would love to see more people working on it. I should probably move it to github.

I was talking about shot timers with a friend, and this project came up. He mentioned, and I agree, that adding a Raspberry Pi to handle all the data storage and user interface would not only make that stuff easier to write, it would also free up the Arduino coding to the sensor stuff (echo detection, etc.) Which led to thinking, why bother with an Arduino? I've not done much GPIO hacking but I can't imagine it would be that hard to get values from a microphone or piezzo sensor, but I don't know if the fidelity would be enough to do echo detection and etc.

Anyway, just a though. I'd still like to see a shot timer that uploaded my sessions to my PC.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post
    I was talking about shot timers with a friend, and this project came up. He mentioned, and I agree, that adding a Raspberry Pi to handle all the data storage and user interface would not only make that stuff easier to write, it would also free up the Arduino coding to the sensor stuff (echo detection, etc.) Which led to thinking, why bother with an Arduino? I've not done much GPIO hacking but I can't imagine it would be that hard to get values from a microphone or piezzo sensor, but I don't know if the fidelity would be enough to do echo detection and etc.

Anyway, just a though. I'd still like to see a shot timer that uploaded my sessions to my PC.
    A RP is a good idea until battery usage comes into play. The RPi draws about .2 Amps while an Arduino draws about 1/10 of that and can be programmed for sleep modes that will go to under .010 Amps or 10 milliamps.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

what is the consensus? If you had to by a timer now - which one would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
    Code and a link to a video demo are available here:
    https://code.google.com/p/arduino-shot-timer/

The code could definitely use improvements - I haven't really touched it since that last post of mine.

The biggest issue with adding the SD card support (something I still haven't gotten around to) was the lack of PRAM on the arduino - there are whole new generations of Arduino and Arduino compatible boards out there now, so it's probably fixable.

But hey - it's open source - so maybe someone else will come along and help me fix it.
    Just letting folks know that the code has been moved to github and updated: https://github.com/hestenet/arduino-shot-timer

User Tag List