Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Perfect Shot Timer

On a serious note, why not consult some elecro geeks, give them a timer and the promise of a check (I am sure there are enough guys here to buy one) if they can produce results. A basic timer seems pretty simple to get working and we have multiple examples to tear apart and get an idea of the guts needed. Give them a footprint to work within and let them have at it.

I know mechanical stuff, not electro, but I also do not see why it could not store data or even transmit to any paired bluetooth device. CSV data would be plenty for me, with a timestamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Must have the following features:

• foliage dark taupe
    • aggressive stippling
    • free floating
    • M1913 rail
    • kydex AIWB case
    • interchangeable backstraps
    You forgot ambidextrous and molle capable. Lightweight would be ideal, along with a midlength piston gas system.

Honestly though, it seems like it might not be too hard to design one and have it made...
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I knew this thread would catch your eye.

Forum Shot Timer project

I know a few people were interested in having something like this done, so I figured a collaborative thread would work out well for this purpose....

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post

ETA: reasonable people can differ on rechargable vs battery. Maybe an internal charging circuit for NiMH AAs?
    Off the shelf common batteries would be ideal.

ETA: Missed this in the OP.

I'd pay 200 just for improvements in durability, sensitivity and loudness adjustments.

iPhone potential

I'm an iOS (iPhone/iPad/etc) and Mac developer and I've considered writing a shooting related app in the past, part of which would include a shot timer. I realize that there are already some shot timer apps available in the App Store, but I haven't had the chance to try any of them, since I usually shoot at an indoor range (and I assume there's no use even trying it there).

So my question is, what are the problems with existing iPhone shot timers available? Are they not accurate? Not easy to use?

For those of you without an iPhone already, if you are willing to spend $300 on a shot timer, would you be willing to spend $250 on an iPod Touch and $?? on an app, if the app worked just as well as (or better than) a dedicated shot timer device?

Quote Originally Posted by clemsontiger View Post
    So my question is, what are the problems with existing iPhone shot timers available? Are they not accurate? Not easy to use?
    For me the timer would not pick up all of the shots. I suspect this has more to do with the microphone than anything as it would vary by case.

The amount of work (and expense) necessary for adding robustness is... non-obvious. More importantly, it's on the fixed-cost side of the net COGS -- all the example devices are manufactured in the millions, allowing the fixed costs to be a few pennies out of the total COGS.

Everything in this smacks of letting someone with a bigger target market do the hardware development, and then leveraging their hardware platform -- but the existence of CED and PACT suggest that device development is at least marginally do-able.

What do we imagine is the 3 year market size?
    Is the market price-elastic? (I.e. does the market size, in units, change significantly for a $150 unit vs. a $225 unit, or will you still sell about X units, regardless of price?)

The iPhone 4 has a hardware "issue" that prohibits all of the current shot timer apps from working. It doesn't appear to be something that can be overcome with an app.

I would rather buy an iOS device and use an app for this, even if I have to get a non contract iPhone 3gs or iTouch. That way all of these cool features could be added over time.

Quote Originally Posted by clemsontiger View Post
    I'm an iOS (iPhone/iPad/etc) and Mac developer and I've considered writing a shooting related app in the past, part of which would include a shot timer. I realize that there are already some shot timer apps available in the App Store, but I haven't had the chance to try any of them, since I usually shoot at an indoor range (and I assume there's no use even trying it there).

For those of you without an iPhone already, if you are willing to spend $300 on a shot timer, would you be willing to spend $250 on an iPod Touch and $?? on an app, if the app worked just as well as (or better than) a dedicated shot timer device?

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    On a serious note, why not consult some elecro geeks [...]
    I did my soliciting for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post

My day job is writing software for devices like this, so if you decide to make an official PFC timer, give me a shout.
    Me too. I've actually been debating mocking up one of these for a while now, and abandoned the idea due to the target market being too small to justify the work.

Small world, but Jar, you and I shoot with some board-fabricators...

The amount of work (and expense) necessary for adding robustness is... non-obvious.
    This was essentially my issue. The board design and layout isn't that difficult, until you start thinking about vibe, shock, and ESD.

bluetooth
    Some pretty serious implications for processing power, power use, and dedicated chip cost. Probably layout complications, too.
    Last edited by TheRoland; 05-19-2011 at 01:52 PM.

User Tag List