Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Shotgun reloads: Which and Why?

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    That's just that legendary Russian reliability making sure you have a round chambered.

I was so hoping ACU dude was going to get kicked in the nuts by that Saiga...

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    I was so hoping ACU dude was going to get kicked in the nuts by that Saiga...
    Guilty...

Quote Originally Posted by WIILSHOOT View Post
    Amusing video.
    More Saiga fail:

Quote Originally Posted by WIILSHOOT View Post
    Just to throw this into the mix: you can do a slower load-2 from a 4-holder caddy... Tough to explain, but fairly simple to show - I'll see if I can't video it later.
    Finally got around to making this vid...

I'm not a total 3-gunner (focus for me is pistol work...) but when I do, I usually reload using the weak-hand or strong hand load-4 methods or loading. I got decent enough with this style of reloading, though I am a bit slow taking ~5 seconds to load 4 shells.

After talking a lot with Jason Carillo of XRails, I'm definitely seeing the benefits and gross-motor-only movements necessary in executing a load-2 or load-4 reload. The only caveat being that those methods require dedicated equipment to perform.

While I've sat on the fence about it, I started playing around with a load-2 method that would work from a traditional 3,4, or 6-shell caddy. While certainly not the fastest, it does seem to work. The load here was "botched" a bit and was still just over 5seconds...

I'm a righty, so lefties, flip this around:

1.) Set shells in a caddy with the brass facing the outside of your strong side.
    I.e. Brass should point "right", so that when you grab the shells, they brass is along the thumb and index finger.

2.) Rotate the gun under the armpit with your strong-arm/hand so the loading port is facing up.

3.) Grab 2-shells off the carrier. Depending on your carrier this may take a bit of practice. In the video I'm running an AP custom "Classic" 1x4 carrier. I also have MT Man carriers and those work just fine too. Interestingly quad carriers seem to mess me up a lot with this method...

4.) Control the lifter with your thumb and drop in a shell, use the thumb to push it in.
    (I'm using a Mossberg 590 for the video since my Mossberg JM was out for work)

5.) Repeat Step 4.

6.) Repeat the grab for the final 2 shells and repeat steps 4 & 5.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    That said, since reloading a shotgun isn't an all-or-nothing operation, I like being able to fire at any time by keeping my strong hand in position to do so. I can keep the weapon indexed while reloading, and if I have to fire before I'm finished filling the tube, so be it. Boom.
    That, right there, is why it is called "combat loading" in some circles. Personally, my HD plan for if I run the gun dry and the game is still on, is to drop the thing and transition. I do have extra rounds on the gun, but....

However, if one's Plan A (the shotgun) is the ONLY plan- whether that be from design or circumstance- then getting it reloaded quickly might be a good skill to acquire. Loading with the support hand just makes more sense if you have no Plan B.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    More Saiga fail:
    That was frigging hilarious! Thank you, sir...

User Tag List