Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JM Custom AIWB for S&W 686 4"

JM Custom AIWB for S&W 686 4"

My EDC for the last couple of months has been my G34 in a JM Custom AIWB. I tend to spend a good portion of my fall time in the woods (usually alone) scouting duck hunting spots or exploring. I've never felt outgunned against 2 legged predators with 9mm but I've sometimes been doubtful about taking down a wild boar or defending against a bear if the need ever arises. I am also a big revolver fan and truly enjoy shooting my 686 (where as my G34 feels like "business as usual" sometimes). I thought about ordering a leather OWB holster to keep the 686 in but then started thinking of the feasibility of carrying the 686 AIWB. I ran my idea by Tony and he said he could make it happen. I asked for a standard ride height, to have the cylinder at or slightly above the belt line, extra tuck, split kydex loops and to incorporate a slight sweat shield. Holster came in today so I thought I would share some pics.

Here's a pic of the side that rides against my body. Slight sweat shield:

Here's a pic of the side with the belt attachment:

Looking down the sights. You can see the slight sweat shield to the left of the frame and how the kydex rides above the cylinder to keep the holster above the pant line (snap caps in the cylinder, not live ammo):

Here's how it looks when being carried. Plenty of room to get a good grip while drawing:

My viewpoint looking down:

I've only worn the holster around the house/yard for the last couple of hours but it is very comfortable (more so than my G19 & G34 JM AIWB models). This holster is also more stable than my G19/G34 holsters and doesn't seem to cant back and forth on my belt line as much while walking around (not that the others move excessively) thanks to the extra width of the holster. The extra weight is also a non-issue. It's not really noticeable over the fully loaded G34 even though I'm carrying an extra 10-12 oz with this setup. I'll be heading to the local range tomorrow to practice some Bill Drills from concealment and re-familiarize myself with revolver shooting as I haven't shot this gun in several months. I'm sure the revolver purists will have fits that I'm carrying my 686 in a kydex holster, but to me this is a defense tool first and foremost. Plus stainless doesn't show wear marks as easily as a 586 Blued model would. If all goes well at the range I'll be carrying this setup with me on a Labor Day Dove hunt. There were many feral hogs in the field I'll be hunting this summer and I don't want to chance stopping one with just 7 1/2 bird shot.

EDIT: I'm 5'10", 160 lbs and athletic build. 32" waist. Complete concealment with shorts and a t-shirt. The rounded grip of the 686 doesn't print as easily as my G19/34 especially when walking into the wind.
    Last edited by MSparks909; 08-30-2013 at 06:48 PM.

JM Custom AIWB for S&W 686 4"

Awesome work.

I wonder if he's got a 2-5/8" 629 laying around...
    Last edited by JDM; 08-30-2013 at 08:06 PM.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    Awesome work.

I wonder if he's got a 2-5/8" 629 laying around...
    Not sure. He did mention he wanted to expand his AIWB holsters to include more revolvers. If there's a blue gun for it I'm sure he can make it. I found a 4" 686 blue gun and he was able to mold mine off that.

Thats nice I need one for my 3in 65

And for my Scandium four inch 329 .44 magnum.

Hmmmm......

I have a 4" 681 that I have thought about bobbing the hammer on and using as a carry gun for certain jobs......

what kind of grips are those?

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    what kind of grips are those?
    Factory rubber grips. I thought about getting some grips without finger grooves but these fit my hand pretty well. Looking to upgrade the sights in a couple of weeks.

That looks awesome! I have thought about AIWB my 686 4. I would of thought that it would of been bulkier to carry then my g19 or p30. I may have to give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Not sure. He did mention he wanted to expand his AIWB holsters to include more revolvers. If there's a blue gun for it I'm sure he can make it. I found a 4" 686 blue gun and he was able to mold mine off that.
    Did you keep the blue gun or did they? I see a 686 in my near future and would love a good AIWB holster for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

User Tag List