Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 Shot Leather SME (no pics)

Anyone started receiving any holsters from the third run yet?

Quote Originally Posted by poptopjr View Post
    Anyone started receiving any holsters from the third run yet?
    VERY few. After my pneumonia I was really slow to get back up to speed in the shop and got WAY behind. I am at 100% right now and trying to make some headway. I have stopped taking new orders so that I can focus on working on leather and stop answering question via phone and email.

I must apologize for not being more forthcoming with info on the situation. I am piecing together SME's right now and I expect to have all of them out the door by Mid-Late Dec. Way off my estimate, I know, but it's the best I can do. Leather supply is my big issue right now, and I have my fingers crossed that delivery on the raw material is as promised.

Thanks for the update John. Good to hear you are feeling better.

Quote Originally Posted by senorlechero View Post
    Do any of y'all with a SME have a keeper as well? If so, how do they compare?
    I have both. They are my go-to holsters, both are excellent. I prefer the SME day-to-day because I prefer the feel and function of leather, but I break out the Keeper when I wear my wife beater and daisy dukes outfit. For me, the Keeper conceals just a tiny little bit better. I wear my SME with G17 mostly, sometimes I'll wear the G19 if I'm just wearing a looser fitting T shirt, and the Keeper comes out (with a G19) if I want to wear a tighter shirt for some reason.

That said, I think holster fit is very person-dependent. You may find the SME conceals better, you may find the Keeper is more comfortable, etc. I should also mention that my latest edition of the JRC AIWB holster is in the same league as both of these holsters in terms of concealment and comfort, with the added bonus that it's tuckable. I haven't truly broken it in yet, nor played too much with the tuckable option, so I don't want to compare it in detail, but it's another great leather option with all the great leathercraft that also makes the SME appealing to me.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post
    I have both. They are my go-to holsters, both are excellent. I prefer the SME day-to-day because I prefer the feel and function of leather, but I break out the Keeper when I wear my wife beater and daisy dukes outfit. For me, the Keeper conceals just a tiny little bit better. I wear my SME with G17 mostly, sometimes I'll wear the G19 if I'm just wearing a looser fitting T shirt, and the Keeper comes out (with a G19) if I want to wear a tighter shirt for some reason.

That said, I think holster fit is very person-dependent. You may find the SME conceals better, you may find the Keeper is more comfortable, etc.
    Similar for me, these are my two go-this as well, but I find the SME conceals a teensy bit better for me. The Keeper still conceals very well while making for a better drawstroke, and it's adjustability is great.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Six month Update:
    Pros- No change, outstanding holster for all day/everyday carry. Monthly range sessions and handgun qualification courses have been fast and effective for rounds on target. I had no problems with "knuckling" my belt on the draw. Definitely my most comfortable carry, even all day with a 220ST weight was not a problem (using a 5-11 or Galco brand belt.) Dressed appropriately, concealment was never an issue.
    Cons- None as of this update, other than the initial commentary (during open carry around the office) from those that would never carry with the firearm pointed at their junk. Thank them for their concern and remind them it's not their junk so not to worry.
    The Glock 27 has not seen daylight since I received the SME.

Semper Fi
    Madmatt

Quote Originally Posted by Madmatt View Post
    The Glock 27 has not seen daylight since I received the SME.
    Awesome, I don't have a baby Glock but my 19 is now permanently in the bedside safe because the 17 carries so well. Maybe in the spring, if I bust out the wife beater and daisy dukes, the 19 will get carried again.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Thanks for the long term report. Glad it is working out for you.

For anyone else that might be waiting on your leather...you should have received an email update or a shipping confirmation today. Lots of leather heading out the door...

Well over a year update; still no pics and junk intact.
    Have not gone back to "conventional" OWB/IWB carry. Glock 27 still in the safe.
    Continued great fit and retention. Agency required defensive tactics training have proven the SME AIWB to truly provide firearm retention advantages. Definitely allows me to effectively carry/deploy/use my Emerson Karambit from conventional right front pocket, or left rear pocket, or the belt line at 11:00. Qual times/scores have stayed at a high proficiency.
    As much as I favor the SME AIWB, I am obligated to highly recommend a serious commitment to practice and training with the system.
    Thanks again John for an outstanding holster.

I check his website daily in hopes the queue will open back up. The SME is still my favorite AIWB holster.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

User Tag List