Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Weak hand or off-side weapon

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lance View Post
    I probably am missing it, but---if carried "off-side", where would/do you place a small fixed blade so you do not draw it under stress and try to reload your pistol with a knife? I can see me doing that and slicing and dicing my own dominant-side wrist.
    Sorry if that is a dumb question.

Bill
    Not a dumb question at all. I saw someone try and load their Surefire into their Glock one time. My non-professional opinion is to always keep spare mags forward of anything else, light, knife, cell phone, etc. I'm interested to hear what everyone else thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    Not a dumb question at all. I saw someone try and load their Surefire into their Glock one time. My non-professional opinion is to always keep spare mags forward of anything else, light, knife, cell phone, etc. I'm interested to hear what everyone else thinks.
    Single mag pouch on belt. Light in back pocket of pants. I've never carried a mag in a pocket and never a light or phone or anything else but the gun and the mag(s) on the belt. I feel like this is the best way to address the possibility of the "flashlight reload."

At least in a concealed carry situation.
    Last edited by JDM; 03-20-2011 at 02:06 PM.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lance View Post
    I probably am missing it, but---if carried "off-side", where would/do you place a small fixed blade so you do not draw it under stress and try to reload your pistol with a knife? I can see me doing that and slicing and dicing my own dominant-side wrist.
    Sorry if that is a dumb question.

Bill
    Knife is about 11 o'clock, and mag pouch is about 8 o'clock, but the basic answer to your question is the knife is pulled out downwards, and the mag comes out upwards.

See also http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...magazine-pouch for another alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Rverdi View Post
    Ben,
    I've always been a little leery of placing a lot of emphasis on weak side weapons because, frankly, most of us suck weak handed. Try putting your favorite folder in your weak side pocket and deploy it. Same goes for spraying oc, any type of impact weapon, etc.
    If I was going to recommend anything, it would be a small fixed blade just forward of your mag pouch, you're much more likely to reliably deploy a fixed blade under stress.
    Honestly, folders are difficult enough under perfect circumstances I don't carry one at all in uniform anymore, because it became fairly obvious that if things are bad enough that I need an edged weapon to defend myself, I'm unlikely to get it out, open and in the fight. I carry a fixed blade, weak side, under my mag pouches.
    What fixed blade do you carry? Is it mounted in between the mag pouch belt loops and belt?

I carry a Ka-Bar TDI knife. It's actually threaded on to my garrison belt so it's under my duty belt. I position it so it's behind my mag pouches.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I carry my Airweight J in a coat or vest pocket on my off-side that's accessible either with my right hand or (cavalry-draw style) with my left.

And although I know it slows my draw down by a couple tenths, I carry my main belt gun @ about the 4:30 position precisely because I can access it with my weak hand in a pinch in any position short of actually lying on my back...

IF the concern is a contact distance need to deploy a weapon with the support side, my position is that the need is somewhat misplaced.

The real issue is how to obtain positional dominance in a kissing distance fight.

The need to access your tools with either hand is important but it is NO SUBSTITUTE for positional dominance. It is simply easier and more fun to purchase another knife than it is to train for strong positional dominance.

If you do some FULL CONTACT fof, you'll find that weapons (either support side or strong side) really only get deployed once you have obtained positional dominance. Until then, more often than not, trying to deploy a weapon is a recipe for disaster.

My advice would be to get thee to a ECQC or CQT class before making any more purchases.

Michael Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Brown View Post
    IF the concern is a contact distance need to deploy a weapon with the support side, my position is that the need is somewhat misplaced.
    My advice would be to get thee to a ECQC or CQT class before making any more purchases.

Michael Brown
    ^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I keep a J frame on my weak side while at work, but it's primarily for getting at quickly if my right hand/arm were to get shot up too badly for me to be able to draw from my duty holster.

User Tag List