Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where there's smoke...

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN

Where there's smoke...

For the first night of the Midnight 3 Gun match I was running Federal bulk-pack 115gr FMJ. After the first stage on the second night of the match, I had to break into a box of WWB ball and...

Holy smoke!

That was stage two, which involved a stroll downrange on a roped off path that started out with the shotgun and finished with some cardboard pistol targets. In between were some sttel plates and a triple plate rack that were optional pistol/shotgun.

I'd been slow but accurate with the pistol and reloading the shotgun on the clock was abysmally slow, so once I broke all the clays, I ditched the gauge and went to my pistol and on the first target noticed I had a problem: My smokeless powder wasn't.

Gray steel and brown cardboard against beige desert dust, the whole thing obscured by a floating cloud of smoke lit bright white with my CTC LightGuard. Without the light the target blended perfectly with the background. With the light the smoke was like fog lit by high beams.

Here is my question, internets: Was it the switch to the WWB that produced more smoke? Or was it some trick of the weather (the air had gotten distinctly colder and clammier as we neared the dew point)?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Smokeless isn't really smokeless. I haven't looked at the powder, any idea what they are using? There is a distinct difference between single, double and triple base powders in flash and smoke production.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Smokeless isn't really smokeless. I haven't looked at the powder, any idea what they are using? There is a distinct difference between single, double and triple base powders in flash and smoke production.

What differences do you see and why?

I would say build up and powder type. Not all smokeless powder in pistols have the same burn rate. If the rate of burn is slower then more smoke "might be produce" depending on the length of the barrel.

http://www.lapua.com/upload/reloadin...echart2011.pdf

Burn rate chart that might be interesting to review.

IMO and to the best of my knowledge, WWB uses a propreitary blend of cat litter, charcoal and gun powder. I fired some several months back and 50 rounds of WWB equates to about 2K of my handloads as far as accumulation.
    Taking a break from social media.

Og from Neanderpundit.com left the following comment at my blog:
    White box uses a commercial ball powder, supposedly, that is similar to 230 or 231. The cowboy action guys at my club shoot 231 (or hodgdon 38) in their (modern)revolvers/wild bunch guns just because it is smokier. I bet this combined with the atmospheric conditions made it difficult for you. One way or another, this is damned useful information in that it could make a home defense situation a disaster. Nice catch, Tam.

If you are using wwb for HD, you deserve what you get.

True, but what if you're using handloads with Win231?

Burn rates have a poor correlation to "smoke" generation. This is another gun myth...much like faster burning powders produce less muzzle flash. Sometimes that is true, but it definitely doesn't have a correlation to speak of....unless you don't have complete combustion before reaching the end of the barrel (like a 6" 556 or something).

Without wading too far into the weeds, the smoke from propellants is largely due to the additives, not the nitrocellulose or nitroglycerin themselves. Many powders have petroleum jelly, graphite, and carbonates added to them for various reasons. Ball propellants typically have a high petroleum content (thats why they often look shiny). Flake powders typically use more graphite powder. One major difference between reloading powder and the powder sold to ammo makers is the anti flash components (I believe it is because real ammo makers always pressure test their ammo batches, reloaders do not typically). Anti flash additives consume the excess hydrogen produced during combustion, and typically burn the "smoke" in addition. But it can somewhat significantly alter chamber pressures.

When using handloads for HD/SD, I'd give thought to the idea that most reloading powders don't have an anti-flash additive. In fact, hot 9mm reloads can produce a very satisfying muzzle flash if done right while still being well within safe pressure ranges.

I believe the broader lesson would be to see how your chosen SD loads work in the dark with a white light (assuming one uses a light.) Some people use inexpensive JHPs, such as WWB or S&B for defense. It might be a worthwhile thing to know.
    Last edited by Tamara; 08-28-2013 at 05:23 PM.

User Tag List