Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Distance and Knife Attacks

Distance and Knife Attacks

Looks to be made back in the late 80's and reminds me of the reaction time study by STG.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9igSoJHEdUo

It was, old training film 'Surviving Edged Weapons'. Still has some good info. That is a video that could really use being redone.

It became a controversy in the early 90s when I lived in San Diego because there were a number of police shootings that involved threats from edged weapons. The Hollywood-trained crowd believed the police should have been using other means to disarm problem children with knives. The video was allegedly pulled from the training curriculum. Ernest Emerson had a great article on knife attacks in an early issue of "American Cop," which focused on the close quarters attacks well inside of the 21-foot rule. He pointed out aattacks on police when a concealed blade was brought into play during grappling. The officers never saw a knife until they felt they'd been cut or stabbed.

A number of officers were interviewed for that film. Many of them report never seeing the knife or not seeing it until they were stabbed/cut.

Two things: We found in some very intensive and well supervised FOF/situational training that in every case in close quarters, officers never realized that they had a blade deployed against them, or if they day, it was WAY too late (sort of shot down the whole "If somebody pulls a knife I'll just shoot them"-not). This was consistent with what we found with officers who were attacked by edged weapons in the field as well. It is why I taught a fairly singular response to attack that was in-line with what Tarani, Emerson, etc. are teaching. I found in the field that almost every suspect we contacted while working on bicycles (where they never saw the cops coming) was carrying some type of edged or improvised weapon. You will not be able to discern if the "Thing" being used is a knife, sharpened screwdriver, a crescent wrench with the end open, or a ball peen hammer, or a fist load.

We did a ton of work on this stuff at ITTS with Scott Reitz. Scott does an exceptional job in court cases as an expert in many of these cases. Scott has several knife attack target systems, and drills. What they found was the "21" foot rule also requires perfection. A perfect identification of the attack, perfect draw stroke, perfect hits and a very clean response. This is rarely possible in the field and well over 30 feet is far more realistic and the ability to move off line is critical, and it is especially important to try to put a barrier between you and the assailant.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    A number of officers were interviewed for that film. Many of them report never seeing the knife or not seeing it until they were stabbed/cut.
    I've looked up as much dashcam/stop-n-rob/nightclub security cam footage as I can and that seems to be the trend so far. People always picture somebody standing 21 feet away with a machete raised over their head charging you when "knife attack" gets mentioned.

None of the videos I've seen have really worked like that apart from dashcam video of crazy people charging cops who were trying to deescalate the situation and avoid using lethal force.

Based on my brief survey of video, it seems like knife attacks generally happen inside punching range. The assault often comes "out of the blue" to the victim and so they're way behind in the OODA loop anyway. The knowledge that they just got stabbed tends to take a couple of seconds to dawn on them...and by that time more wounds have probably been dealt.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I've looked up as much dashcam/stop-n-rob/nightclub security cam footage as I can and that seems to be the trend so far. People always picture somebody standing 21 feet away with a machete raised over their head charging you when "knife attack" gets mentioned.

None of the videos I've seen have really worked like that apart from dashcam video of crazy people charging cops who were trying to deescalate the situation and avoid using lethal force.

Based on my brief survey of video, it seems like knife attacks generally happen inside punching range. The assault often comes "out of the blue" to the victim and so they're way behind in the OODA loop anyway. The knowledge that they just got stabbed tends to take a couple of seconds to dawn on them...and by that time more wounds have probably been dealt.
    So what is the useful training response other than "keep your kittening distance"? Default defensive stance so your arms get shredded instead of your gut while you try to figure out what is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    So what is the useful training response other than "keep your kittening distance"? Default defensive stance so your arms get shredded instead of your gut while you try to figure out what is going on?
    Shivworks edged weapon overview

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    Well generally I would advise MUC'ing and maintaining distance from others as much as possible. Seems like a lot of stabbings happen outside of nightclubs, so maybe avoid getting into it with people in the club and then taking it "outside". Etc.

SouthNarc's ECQC presents some good techniques for controlling a weapon in a KUT.

...but then again, a significant part of ECQC is learning techniques to keep your kittening distance from people who might want to hurt you, so...
    3/15/2016

Ref sneak attacks with knives; This has happened as long as people have been people.

Why does one think the term "cloak and dagger" came to be so well known?

Palming a shank is something every felon who has been in prison knows about.

User Tag List