Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Training For Reality: Why Carry a Rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Google images for "LA Riots Korean".
    As has been said in this thread, they were defending a static location.

By most definitions short of Mad Max, SHTF has happened many times in modern history. Venezuela, Bosnia, Katrina, the LA Riots, Turkey, Egypt, and countless localized events tied to natural disaster provide many examples. They show us that concealed handguns will remain the best "on the go" option unless it becomes clear that there will be no consequences for carrying a long gun. That would require a sense that a power or service vacuum was at least long term, if not permanent. Power and service vacuums tend to be very short lived.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    Dropkick - I simply mentioned it as a disagreement with what was posted above. I respect KD, but I believe the WILL to WIN (or NOT DIE BADLY) is the key aspect. ... and in a fight with a gun odds are someone is not going home.
    Okaaay... So, if we move the goal posts from "unarmed fight" to "fight involving a firearm" I'd still bet on the fit guy over the fat guy. Because in a struggle over a gun, the fit guy will still have fight in him when the fat guy starts wheezing and is only left with his "Will to Win" but nothing left to back it up with. To simplify it: who can outlast who physically?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'd love to hear more on this in a separate thread.
    Check out John Farnam's quips for a bunch of good stuff for that AO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    Okaaay... So, if we move the goal posts from "unarmed fight" to "fight involving a firearm" I'd still bet on the fit guy over the fat guy. Because in a struggle over a gun, the fit guy will still have fight in him when the fat guy starts wheezing and is only left with his "Will to Win" but nothing left to back it up with. To simplify it: who can outlast who physically?
    The guy who lands a killing blow first.

Your missing my point - the key to winning is that the only fair fight is the fight you win. Fight your heart out, as your life probably does depend on it.
    I'm not going 12 rounds in a boxing match - the goal is to mobilize the opponent as fast as you can, as the quicker you stop a fight, the less likely you will suffer an significant injury.

Very few folks train to kill, injury or immobilize quickly in a HTH struggle
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    While I do think that most ignore fitness as part of the training environment - I will disagree with Kyle in the fact that fitness is number 1 do to a HTH fight.
    The will to kill and the skills to do it quick are the #1 requirement in any fight.
    KD has a rather well rounded skill set, so when he says fitness, he means that's for him personally. He's not saying that's the most important thing for everyone, but just for him personally or at least when he wrote that entry it was. And he's trying to get people to think and evaluate their own situations and to adjust their regimen or build their regimen accordingly. Most people don't have his skill set or experience. He's not trying to say they do. Seems like he's trying to get them to evaluate their own needs realistically and then work it from there. Will most people do that? My guess is no, but if you're average Joe Citizen and training your carbine skills is what you want to do, it's better than what most people do, which is nothing.

If it's too dangerous FOR ME to leave the house without a rifle, it's too dangerous to leave the house. KHTF Mad Max fantasies aside, my rifle training has been mostly for personal enjoyment, gun nerdiness. I've learned skills that would be useful for defending me and mine, and I take them seriously. But mostly because I can and not because I have to.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

With the exception of guys who carry a rifle for a living and are training on the taxpayers dime...

If you are spending more time/money on carbine courses than you are at the local MMA gym, you are NOT training for reality.

Quote Originally Posted by smells like feet View Post
    With the exception of guys who carry a rifle for a living and are training on the taxpayers dime...

If you are spending more time/money on carbine courses than you are at the local MMA gym, you are NOT training for reality.
    Except,

1) I thought most everyone had access to a carbine or shotgun, with a mounted light, at home -- making the long gun more than a theoretical tool for home defense.

and,

2) If you believe the Rangemaster data base, there isn't much grappling, or physical contact at all going on, at least in western TN.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Except,

1) I thought most everyone had access to a carbine or shotgun, with a mounted light, at home -- making the long gun more than a theoretical tool for home defense.

and,

2) If you believe the Rangemaster data base, there isn't much grappling, or physical contact at all going on, at least in western TN.
    But then then folks are far more likely to need their gun out and about than at home, if we look at the data Tom gives us.

Home defense guns are were (are maybe...) used so much more than carry guns in the past because no one was carrying a gun outside of the home. Of the 60+ cases Tom speaks of in his class very few are at homes, and those that are happen outside in the yard where one wouldn't have access to the rifle anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    A man walking about with a concealed handgun might not be able to hit a target "way out past Fort Mudge" , but inside of 70 yards he's still deadly assuming good proficiency with the pistol in question-and he won't necessarily be shot on sight by remnants of police or trigger happy people watching their property lines.

What say you all on this topic? Am I off my rocker to consider this?
    How often do you shoot past 25 yards? How accurate are your hits at 75 yards?

Terminal ballistics are the #1 reason to carry a rifle.

User Tag List