Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 Extractor Woes

Site Supporter

Glock 19 Extractor Woes

One of my G19s started displaying extraction failures recently with a stoppage about every 150-250 rounds. The fired case sometimes was an in-line stovepipe, sometimes a fired case crossways between the breechface and the barrel hood and sometimes an inline stovepipe with the case mouth towards the breechface. The ammo was brand new Federal 124 FMJ and Federal 124 HST +P. Magazines, springs, etc. were all new or nearly so.

I've been a Glock armorer for over 20 years and have watched literally millions of rounds from this platform and have personally fired a huge chunk (half a million conservatively) through the guns. I like them and have carried them in harm's way here and OCONUS.

When I tried to order parts from Glock, I learned that they were making their staff handle a move to a new facility and the recording indicated that parts orders were going to be a few weeks in processing. Unsat!

I contacted one of their field reps and got an extractor sent to me along with a new extractor depressor plunger spring, SLB and new extractor depressor. The extractor didn't want to drop in and hung on the cylindrical "foot" at the back end. It was one of the new extractors marked with a "1". It finally installed and I went to test fire it today. Results SUCKED big time. The extractor was so tight, that the slide hung partially open 10-12 times per 15 round magazine. I dug though an old parts stash and found one LCI 9mm extractor, dropped it in and the gun ran. Hopefully, the new spring and the stash parts extractor have solved my problem, but I'm not holding my breath. I've noted erratic extraction/ejection for a while with these guns and I'm not happy.

Anybody have feedback on what I may have missed or something else to consider?

Wayne, you may want to check out these threads:

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...rance-Test-Gun

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...-have-started-....

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...bad-extraction

Short version is that people here have reported changing out RSAs, extractors, and filing the ejector to alter its engagement angle, but there doesn't seem to be a sure-fire way of sorting these guns yet.

Todd's test gun seems to have settled in after its (third) extractor change, but who knows how indicative that is of the actual root of the problems.

Site Supporter
    Your problem sounds a lot like mine, Gen 3 or Gen 4?
    Last edited by JV_; 05-18-2011 at 05:23 AM.

We are diminished
    WD -- Presumably this is a 2010 or 2011 production gun, correct?

As commandar pointed out, there have been a lot of different "fixes" applied by various people in an attempt to get late model 9mm Glocks working acceptably. For me, replacing the entire extractor assembly and making sure the particular extractor I was using would drop in and out of the gun more-or-less freely coincided with the problems disappearing. Others have tried a similar approach and still suffered the ejection problems you're reporting.

Perhaps the worst part is that many guns either out of the box or "post DIY fix" will run for ~2,000 rounds before the problems begin (again). Conventional wisdom that 200rd of duty/carry ammo will prove reliability does not seem to apply to the current production 9mm Glocks.

Glock Inc in Georgia and Glock Ges.m.b.H. in Austria are both well aware of the problem. Austria is actively working on a fix based on a ton of work done by the folks in the US.

WD,

Have you tried any other extractors for fit? as you know the extractor needs to have some wiggle room. If you need one let me know, I have a few laying around.

Also I've been running this (http://www.whitesounddefense.com/pro....E.D.-9mm.html) in my new gen 4 17 and have over 2K though it now and have had one FTE, ( on the next to the last round of the standards this last weekend)

Let us know what happens.
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

I just put that part into my Gen4 G19, Prdator. Hope it fixes the stovepiping issue.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Guys,

The G19 in question is a Gen 3 with S/N MDD4** so I don't know the year of mfg, but I would suspect it's about 2008-2009. Glockmeister used to have a resource where you could check the year of manufacture online, but apparently, it's no longer on their site.

The gun ran fine yesterday for about 300 rounds and I'm going to keep track of it for a while and see what happens. I was really ticked that the new extractor sent to me for a "fix" didn't work at all!

I will give that new extractor "power" system a try...looks interesting and they take the time to give a detailed explanation of why and how it works. Edit: just ordered the system and a couple of their EDP springs and will start the testing quest with them.

And prdator: you had an FTE during standards and I had a dud factory round during them...guess the gremlins were alive and well at USSA!

Thanks for the input guys.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 05-18-2011 at 10:10 AM.

I have somewhat high hopes for the H.R.E.D part....
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I increased the extractor tension by using a pre LCI spring bearing, it didn't help. I would expect the spring only setup to behave similarly.

I have two G19s (new) that dribble the brass out and have an erratic ejection pattern. Not enough rounds down range in either to confirm/deny reliability.

User Tag List