Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you Train for Reality?

Site Supporter
    I'm a firm believer in training or just shooting from normal carry gear. I shot an IDPA match earlier today where the SO asked me where my tactical fishing vest was. When I pointed to the polo shirt I was wearing, he replied, "oh, you're one of those." I'm still not sure what that meant.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Ever been to a Pat Rogers class ... in a t shirt?
    I plan to sooner or later and totally agree with you.
    #RESIST

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by epete View Post
    I'm still not sure what that meant.
    The Group W bench. Sadly, there's no "askance" smiley.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    The Group W bench.
    I don't know what that meant either.

Statistically speaking, the typical self defense encounter-be it on the street or in the home-ends inside of 7 yards in 6 seconds. Again, statistically speaking, most defensive incidents end when the bad guy hits the bricks at the sight of his intended victim's weapon.

As such, "Realistic" training would logically consist of extensive legal education on the use of force and repetitive training with small, concealable firearms of various calibers SMALLER then 9mm .

That wouldn't be a very sexy pistol class would it-and lets not forget, all that ammo and steel/paper targets cost money. At some point the instructor has to pay his phone bill too. The "tacticool" gear and drills might be flowery excess, but its fun and builds mental confidence in the student-and fights are won not with guns or bullets but with minds. You may not like the faux special forces aspect, but its a lot better then untrained people walking about with firearms-or worse, trained students scared at the moment of truth.

Seemed appropriate...

Quote Originally Posted by epete View Post
    I'm a firm believer in training or just shooting from normal carry gear. I shot an IDPA match earlier today where the SO asked me where my tactical fishing vest was. When I pointed to the polo shirt I was wearing, he replied, "oh, you're one of those." I'm still not sure what that meant.
    Don't you just love those tools? Even better are the clueless ones... especially when they should know better. At our last retiree re-qual, I was standing at my point on the 25 yard line, waiting for a few stragglers to get positioned so we could do the deal. I was "decked out" in my every day attire; Doc Marten shoes, Docker khakis, and a hawaiian shirt. The important stuff was IWB on the strong side, with an OWB mag pouch on the off side, a few extra magazines in the front pockets, and enough loose cartridges to finish the "course" in my right hip pocket; all, of course, covered by the shirt.

I was actually leaning against the barricade; one of the safety officers, a youngster I had never seen before, walked up to me and said in a pseudo-polite/yet snotty voice, "You know, you really need a pistol to do this."

Any number of witty ripostes came to mind, but in the end I just looked at him. That seemed to unnerve him a bit, and he moved off. I didn't see him after that... pity, because I wanted to ask him a question or two.

In your case, I would have pointedly asked the RO just what, exactly, was "one of those"?

I don't mind that sort of nonsense from the unwashed; they really don't know any better. But one (allegedly) of our own? Nope, can't let it slide...

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    The Group W bench.
    I plead ignorance on that one as well.

'Splain it to us, please.

No one else visiting hi rise buildings, looking for german-type accented terrorists?

Am I the only one? I've got the Beretta thing covered

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    "Realistic" training would logically consist of ... repetitive training with small, concealable firearms of various calibers SMALLER then 9mm .
    Why wouldn't I use my CCW gun?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List