Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: $300 pistol budget

Site Supporter
    Another issue is the gun is only a start. What about ammo, holster, belt, magazines, range fees, and then class fees?

Buy once, cry once.

Words to live by with firearms purchases.

Have him check gunbroker for a used Smith and Wesson 5904. An excellent gun well within his price range.

Quote Originally Posted by NGCSUGrad09 View Post
    Buy once, cry once.

Words to live by with firearms purchases.
    That may very well be, but I would rather see a friend with a serviceable gun right now than saving for who knows how long for some Teutonic beauty he read about on the Internet.

Ruger products, although seldom held up as a paragon of style or professionalism, generally perform and perform well and can be had reasonably. There are several other good suggestions here, most with the caveat of "it just needs a little more money."

I like the idea of lending the pistolless friend the difference. The main thing, though, would be get him in something dependable soon and start him to practicing with it.
    Last edited by Rappahannock; 05-17-2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Tell him to save up $200 more - it won't take that long.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Tell him to save up $200 more - it won't take that long.
    +1

I'm not keen on lending money that you expect/need to get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Rappahannock View Post
    That may very well be, but I would rather see a friend with a serviceable gun right now than saving for who knows how long for some Teutonic beauty he read about on the Internet.

Ruger products, although seldom held up as a paragon of style or professionalism, generally perform and perform well and can be had reasonably. There are several other good suggestions here, most with the caveat of "it just needs a little more money."

I like the idea of lending the pistolless friend the difference. The main thing, though, would be get him in something dependable soon and start him to practicing with it.
    I'm in the save a $100 bucks more and get a used Glock camp. I'm hardly one to spend a chunk of change chasing a Teutonic beauty.. but with a $100 bucks comes a large jump from ok "entry" level pistol to a top performing gun.

If he's really hard up, Summit Gunbroker lists Glock 22 Gen 2's in stock for $325.

Thanks guys for the suggestions so far.

Is the SD9 a piece of crap?

I don't see myself recommending a G22. It is a 40 caliber and I personally can't stand shooting a Glock in 40.

This is a guy that does not think like the rest of us. He feels that he can get a perfectly good gun for $300 and even though I have tried to explain the differences, he is not willing to spend more, even if I lent him the cash. I will keep working on him but I am worried that he will go out and buy junk on a whim before listening to me so I am trying to stay close to his budget.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Does he want to be a pistol owner, or a pistol shooter?

User Tag List