Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $300 pistol budget

$300 pistol budget

I have a friend that is looking at pistols. This would be his first handgun and he is not a serious shooter, maybe someday but I doubt it. We went to the gunshop and he handled most of the guns in the case then we hit the range and he shot a 1911, M&P, P226, and a S&W 586.

Tonight he texted me and said his budget is $300 bucks and is looking at Taurus, Keltec, and Ruger. I am trying to talk him into something better but he seems set on spending that amount. How do you think the S&W SD9 would work for him? Buds has them for $367 with free shipping and so I thought I might be able to get him to "upgrade" to that if it is a good pistol.

I wish I could find him a used G19 but they get snapped up pretty quick at $350 and he probably won't want to spend more on a used gun unless it was excellent.

Thoughts?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

If possible, see if he can hold out for a used / LE trade in Glock 17. That would be the best bet, IMHO.

AIM Surplus has em frequently, and if he can perhaps pony up $400 for a weapon, a Glock 17 will likely serve him well, with a minimum of fuss & drama (compared to a Taurus, etc).

Tuff call for you, but if it was my friend I'd help him out with the extra scratch and have him pay me back when he could.

+1 on the used Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    Tuff call for you, but if it was my friend I'd help him out with the extra scratch and have him pay me back when he could.
    ditto.

Rule of thumb- you do not save money by buying a cheap starter item. Once your skill level grows, you will find that your pistol (or bass, or whatever) is insufficient for your needs. And you're now short the $$$ you paid on the starter item.

So, your friend spends $350... and he will find out that the SD-9 is a bad choice. What now? That's $350 he doesn't have to go toward a better gun- and even if he sold the S&W, he won't see near that much money back.

I think a good many of us here have wasted thousands on cheap POS guns- heck, I could buy a P-30 if I could only get that wasted money back.

Tell him to save his money and get something decent. There is no such thing as a "starter gun". he would just be waisting his $$$. Have him save up and get a used Glock. They are $400 all day every day just about.

I had a buddy recently go through this very same thing. I suggested a used Glock, second generation guns can be found around here in the $350 range, and that's a solid choice. There's always layaway too.

For that money, I'd want a Ruger SP101.

However, that would imply someone would be willing to drill trigger press & reloading as if your life depended upon it.

I've been getting emails for trade in Glock 22s for less than $300 the past month or so can't remember where though, G&T Dist maybe...

User Tag List