Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got a Mossberg 930 JM Pro...What ammo for 3-Gun?

Thanks for everyone's comments. In order to test the shotgun at the NRA last night I ran this round: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/60353 and it was incredibly low recoil. I bought them at Guns&Ammo Warehouse for $7/box-5. They run perfectly in the 930. However, surprisingly, the Federal Premium which I bought at the NRA Range http://www.policehq.com/Products/FC-127LEB#.UhiTCdJO_xM jammed on me multiple times. I expected the other way around.

I love this 930. I will get a chance to try the 1100 Competition soon so I can compare, but I am very happy with my choice. My only issue is learning how to mount it and sight it...I was shooting low...just below down zero at 25 yards.

I was looking at the B&P shells...they look fantastic, but not sure I can afford them.

CC
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    I reload quad strong-hand, out of AP Customs (much preferred) or Taccom holders. IMO, but the deuce and quad shotshell holders work better mounted on a vest than on a belt.

For outlaw 3-gun (by the way, why is it still called 'outlaw?') you're going to want at least 12-16 shells on your person, at a minimum. I'd also cast a critical eye at the sidesaddle. If it works for you, great, but I've seen shotgun sidesaddles get in the way of other, faster loading techniques.

Josh is right about the Swarovski Z6i, it's the best 3-gun rifle optic you can buy. The Vortex is nice too, but heavy, and doesn't have the bright center dot of the Z6i. If I had to replace my Z6i, I'd get a Leupold VX-6 Multigun.
    I just got back from the Pro-Am, and got to play with the current shotshell carriers and rifle optics.

I really liked the AP Customs quad, so much so that I picked up an 8 round AP quad carrier. The Carbon Arms quad carriers are also nice, and there was new company there making quad and dual carriers using metal backers like AP and plastic shell holders like Carbon Arms, but I forgot the name of the company.

I couldn't really discern a difference in brightness between the Vortex Razor II and the Leupold VX6. Neither appear as bright as the Z6i to me, but that may be a function of the dot size. I don't understand why Leupold refuses to put a good reticle in the VX6. I have the SPR reticle in my current scope and don't find it very useful. The 2.5 mil stadia are too coarse for hold overs, and I find the circle to be distracting. If I got a VX6, I would probably just opt for the German #4 reticle and use multiple zeroes.

The Kahles K16i seemed very nice, but I don't see anything that would justify it's price over the cheaper Z6i. I still really like the Bushnell 1-6.5 with the second focal plane BTR2 reticle. It doesn't have a bright central dot, but I don't think it's really necessary in that scope due to the reticle design. I know that glass clarity is very subjective, but I found the Bushnell to be clearer than either the Razor II or VX6.

I wish either Leupold or Vortex would offer the VX6 or Razor II with a Mil based "christmas tree" reticle. The Vortex reticle isn't bad if you like BDC reticles, I just prefer the reticle to be mil based.

A friend let me try his AP Custom 3x3 and it worked great. But I can actually hold four in my hand, so I am going for the 4x4. I thought about multiple ones from Man Mountain, which are nice, but one place to go for ammo means less mistakes. Maybe one day I will graduate to "load-2".

Took my 930 to the range and practiced weak-shoulder, which is totally unfamiliar, but it's really not that bad once you practice it...easier than pistol even.

The first match I went to they had a COF that had me shooting weak-shoulder 6 targets, starting with 4 rounds, while retreating. Missed three of my targets...no surprise. Never even tried weak-shoulder and 2nd time shooting this shotgun.

No problem with standard Remington Target Club loads. Just got some Federal Premium Truball Low Recoil 2-3/4" 1oz Rifled 1300FPS to try out. But I really liked the Brenneke Home Defense stuff.

CC
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    A friend let me try his AP Custom 3x3 and it worked great. But I can actually hold four in my hand, so I am going for the 4x4. I thought about multiple ones from Man Mountain, which are nice, but one place to go for ammo means less mistakes. Maybe one day I will graduate to "load-2".

Took my 930 to the range and practiced weak-shoulder, which is totally unfamiliar, but it's really not that bad once you practice it...easier than pistol even.

The first match I went to they had a COF that had me shooting weak-shoulder 6 targets, starting with 4 rounds, while retreating. Missed three of my targets...no surprise. Never even tried weak-shoulder and 2nd time shooting this shotgun.

No problem with standard Remington Target Club loads. Just got some Federal Premium Truball Low Recoil 2-3/4" 1oz Rifled 1300FPS to try out. But I really liked the Brenneke Home Defense stuff.

CC
    You are welcome to try my caddies at the NRA range. I think you'll regret the 4x4s. I have 3 and they are my least used loading method. I wish load two/quad would have been available when I started 3 gun. I would have the hundreds of hours I practiced loading weak hand back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I wish load two/quad would have been available when I started 3 gun. I would have the hundreds of hours I practiced loading weak hand back.
    This.

Wish I'd made it to the Pro-Am, it looked like a good time. You doing the FNH-USA 3-Gun up here in September?
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

User Tag List