Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: After 4 Years North Carolina is dropping the M&P.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerStripe View Post
    Can you define or describe "sear bounce"?
    In a nutshell, as the slide cycles the sear doesn't catch the striker to reset the action prior to the next shot. A larger sear spring and sear spring pin was supposed to get the sear back into place to catch the striker more reliably, something I believe S&W implemented with the NCHP's pistols shortly after they adopted the guns and experienced dead triggers. (IIRC...might be wrong on the timeline with that)
    3/15/2016

Wow-NCHP has certainly been a bit of a beta tester poster child for .357 SIG guns-first the 8357 Cougar, and now this....

I had one of the 8357 Cougars-probably surplus from the NCHP contract order. There was a lot to like about it; ergos, balance, potential recoil-reducing benefits of the rotating barrel, Beretta fit/finish craftsmanship, etc.-I really, really wanted it to work...It didn't....

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 08-22-2013 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    In a nutshell, as the slide cycles the sear doesn't catch the striker to reset the action prior to the next shot. A larger sear spring and sear spring pin was supposed to get the sear back into place to catch the striker more reliably, something I believe S&W implemented with the NCHP's pistols shortly after they adopted the guns and experienced dead triggers. (IIRC...might be wrong on the timeline with that)
    I was thinking it was a problem with the sear on the trigger break rather than being part of the dead trigger issue. Thanks for the clarification.

So even with the larger sear spring and sear spring pin, some M&P's are still experiencing dead triggers?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Comedian View Post
    So even with the larger sear spring and sear spring pin, some M&P's are still experiencing dead triggers?
    Seems that way. I bought a couple of M&P's in 9mm some time ago and they experienced the dead trigger problem. I had to send them back to S&W to get them working right. I believe they put in the MA compliant sear block along with trigger bars that had a larger loop on them to get them working properly. I would assume that S&W put springs specific to the .357 sig in their guns in that chambering so the slide isn't moving a whole lot faster, but who knows. If the slide is moving faster on the .357 sig guns it might be beyond the margin of error for the parts they are putting in the gun.
    3/15/2016

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Comedian View Post
    I'm reading this as a separate, different issue.

This is the "extractor port" problem, which I would like explained to me by someone other than the Public Affairs guy in the articles; someone who knows what the kitten they're talking about.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I'm reading this as a separate, different issue.

This is the "extractor port" problem, which I would like explained to me by someone other than the Public Affairs guy in the articles; someone who knows what the kitten they're talking about.
    I have a 9mm M&P that had erratic extraction problems. It seems that every 200-400 rounds I would get a failure to extract where the rim of the case was barely sticking out of the chamber. It happened with a variety of ammo: I remember it happening with Winchester White Box, Ranger Talon, Barnual brass cased ammo, and Black Hills.

At that time Apex had just finished developing their M&P extractor to address this issue. They were nice enough to let me send them my M&P9 in which they installed & tested one of their pre-production failure resistant extractors in my gun then shipped it back to me. This was in March of 2010. I have put at least 4k rounds through the M&P9 since then without any reccurence of this issue.

I was only aware that this issue effected some 9mm M&Ps. If I remember correctly, an explanation was that S&W used the same extractor in the M&P9s as they did in the M&P40s, and this sometimes caused issues.

If this is the issue that the NCHP is dealing with, doing a tap, rack, ready might actually make things worse.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by ed l View Post
    I was only aware that this issue effected some 9mm M&Ps. If I remember correctly, an explanation was that S&W used the same extractor in the M&P9s as they did in the M&P40s, and this sometimes caused issues.
    Right, which makes me think it's gotta be something different, although similar, with .357SIG guns.

(One of which I am, incidentally, toting right now until I clean my regular carry gun, which had a malf during the CTC match that required a mag change. Obviously I wasn't trying to diagnose the gun on the clock, but it may have been an FTE of some sort. I had just shot up all my Federal and cracked open a box of WWB, which could have been a contributing factor, although that gun had digested literally thousands of rounds of WWB without a hiccup prior to that.)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I had one of the 8357 Cougars-probably surplus from the NCHP contract order. There was a lot to like about it; ergos, balance, potential recoil-reducing benefits of the rotating barrel, Beretta fit/finish craftsmanship, etc.-I really, really wanted it to work...It didn't....

Best, Jon
    Jon,

I'm curious what didn't work. Can you shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Now that I think of it, the explanation that this specific extraction issue only effected some 9mm M&Ps may not make sense.

Apex Tactical's website lists one size failure resistant extractor that seems to be listed to fit all M&Ps except the Shield. If this was a 9mm only issue and the failure resistant extractor was made to address it, I would expect that part would only work in 9mms M&Ps and not work with other calibers.

I'm going to try to contact Randy Lee of Apex and see if I can get a better explanation of the part and maybe the issue.

User Tag List