Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: After 4 Years North Carolina is dropping the M&P.

Indeed.

Indiana just had to have new .45s, because their gen 3 Glock 17s were unreliable.

Yes, someone said that with a straight face.

It will be interesting to see what NCHP, and S&W, does. As Keefus stated, lots of buzz in the local gun forum.

Some of the emails I received today were from a medium-to-large size agency near Detroit (they shoot the M&P 357 Sig as well). It read like a soap opera, so much in fact that it seemed to me that he just wanted them replaced with Glock 357Sigs.

One of the emails referenced the frames being out of spec and not being able to fit in the holster. It was dated July 2012 which would be prior to the replacement of the original pistols. I was curious so I pulled out my M&P 45 and was able to shift the polymer somewhat but it would still fit in the holster. But it's polymer so I expect it to shift a bit in regards to frame/slide fit. It doesn't hurt the accuracy any more than a "hog nosed" (term I learned in M&P armorer class from our instructor who used to work for...Glock) dust cover on a Glock would.

So, I'm in wait-n-see mode I guess. One of our firearms instructors shot one of the replacement M&P's a couple months ago and loved it. As of today he hasn't heard any different from the SHP instructors that were there.

I had heard this was brewing.

Also getting word of another domino in the GA market that will be the next to fall.

Since I've been around (34 yrs) the SHP in North Carolina has routinely changed handguns every 5 or 6 years or so.

Since transitioning to pistols from their S&W revolver days, they've issued (IIRC) a Beretta in 9mm, a Beretta in .40 S&W, a Beretta in .357 Sig, a Sig 229 in .357 Sig and now the Smith & Wesson M&P in .357 Sig.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    Since I've been around (34 yrs) the SHP in North Carolina has routinely changed handguns every 5 or 6 years or so.

Since transitioning to pistols from their S&W revolver days, they've issued (IIRC) a Beretta in 9mm, a Beretta in .40 S&W, a Beretta in .357 Sig, a Sig 229 in .357 Sig and now the Smith & Wesson M&P in .357 Sig.
    Maybe they will go with the .45 GAP next. Seems fitting.

I demoed a S&W M&P in 40 for my agency's upgrade to 40 pistols from the Smith and Wesson 559 upgrade and had a few issues with them. These were the first gen pistols that were being sold. Lately I have seen good examples of the M&P series that now unless there is documentation I just look at this as a agency refresh.

Ironically few agencies that go to H&K drop the H&K (unless it is an MP5)

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Some of the emails I received today were from a medium-to-large size agency near Detroit (they shoot the M&P 357 Sig as well). It read like a soap opera, so much in fact that it seemed to me that he just wanted them replaced with Glock 357Sigs.
    That's certainly a case of "from the frying pan and in to the fire."

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post

They bought the Beretta Cougar in .357 sig...and that was a crappy gun.

If they issued the Beretta 96, that gun also had significant issues. Might be why one of the former firearms instructors for NCHP I've gotten to know didn't so much say the word Beretta as hiss it.
    3/15/2016

This is the sort of thing I just don't get, but then I found a long time ago that an entire agency firearms program can be colored by one guy in the right, or wrong, spot.

When that guy is someone like Larry Mudgett then your agency is better than GTG, if it isn't then you are often screwed.

NC appears to be taking the same road Indiana did (they were in the Beretta 92, then 96, then Glock 22, then Glock 17, then Glock 21, ...), except so far they aren't going with a brand new and completely unproven gun from a company with slipping QC issues so they have that going for them.

Actually, it'll be interesting to see how the Gen4 G31/G32 does; my feelings have always been that the Gen4 particularly benefits the higher pressure/quicker spiking cartridges-the .40, .357, and 10mm-both performance- and durabilty-wise. The Gen4 G31/G32 could just turn out to be exemplar guns for the .357 SIG cartridge-time will tell.

Hey Todd-Long-term Gen4 G31 test?? Just sayin'.....

Best, Jon

User Tag List