Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pistol sights

pistol sights

I did some searches for similar topics, and didn't find anything. Also, Mods: if this forum is inappropriate for this discussion, please move it.

I know this might be beating a dead horse, but I'll be taking my M&P to Apex at the end of September and I'm going to have them install some new sights while they have it (I've owned it for going on 6 months and have put just shy of 1k rounds downrange).

These will be the first upgraded pistols sights I'll ever have since I've been using the stock ones on my both my Sig and M&P. also, i want to have night sights as opposed to fiber/brass/plain front. this is a personal choice, i understand the benefits of other types.

disclaimer: i know that any of these are a good choice, just seeing what others think.

and yes, i'm limiting my options. mostly for my own sanity since there are a boatload of brands/types.

contenders:

Heinie Stright Eight ledge ($132)

10-8 Preformance ($98)

Novak Extreme Duty Adjustable ($141)

Trijicon HD orange or yellow front available ($145)

I know the 10-8 has a plain rear, i'm ok with that (although i *think* they have a rear with tritium but its OoS or i can't find them online; does anyone have any info on this?).

Also, i'm comfortable with the Novak's despite them being adjustable; from what i've read they're VERY rugged and allow you to tailor a zero to your preferred ammo/distance. Another notable mention are Ameriglos.

Any input? I'm leaning towards the Heinie because the sight allignment will be similar to my Sig (dotting the i), but aside from that, any of the sights listed will be new to me since the only experience i have is the stock sig sights and the stock M&P sights.

Thanks in advance for any input. I'm trying not to overthink this, but since they'll be my first upgraded pistol sights I want to do it right.
    If not me, then who?

Site Supporter
    I like Heinie and Ameriglo. Waiting for those Ledge Straight 8's for Sigs to be released.

I REALLY like the heinie ledge sights a lot. A lot of those sights come down to personal preference imho, but I like that the heinies are melonited and the tritium is the not invasive if you like a very plain sight picture. The claw that the ledge sights have really make one handed manipulations easy.

If you are getting Heinie, know that the .156" wide QUIK width version is much easier to see that is the .140" wide regular width version.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Out of those choices I'd pick the Trijicon HD's hands down...but that's primarily because I like the night sight arrangement on those sights and I think the orange or yellow circle on the front sight give some of the same "follow the glowing ball" benefits of a fiber optic under the right circumstances. I've tried them on other people's guns and I like them.

As for adjustable sights, that's a hard call for me. I generally avoid them on carry guns because I just don't see much of a point in them. Most of my 9mm pistols hit pretty much where I expect them to with 124 grain +P ammo while shooting a tad high with 115 grain bulk 9mm. I don't really seem to need the adjustable sights to get super-precise and so I just forgo them.

As for the Heinies, I agree with the "Quik" version of those sights being the preferred option.

I'd skip the 10-8's because personally I don't like rears without some sort of tritium reference.\

EDIT - just looked on the Trijicon site and apparently they now sell HD sights for the P30. Oh. Hell. Yes.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 08-26-2013 at 02:44 PM.
    3/15/2016

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Of the choices above, I'd go with the Trij HDs. You can use them to make the kind of shots where you really need to use your sights, and yet you can also put the big brightly-colored blob in the middle of the easier targets* and hose away. I use the very similar Ameriglo product on all my carry guns these days. They work the way XS Big Dot sights wish they worked.

*At that Mas Ayoob class earlier this year I let a kid from TX who had come to the class with her dad and was having problems with her USP use my M&P to shoot the qual. I explained the sights as "Look, they're super easy. They're like Playskool 'My First Badguy Blaster' sights. Just put the big orange circle right in the middle of the black and press the trigger..." She passed the qual easily. )
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I use Ameriglo sights but given your choices I would have to go with the Trijicon HD sights.

I would like to have the heinie sights on my new P30 . But have read about cracked P30 slides. I wonder if HK would install them?

I always liked the LOOKS of novak sights on 3rd gen S&W.
    Mine went dim within a year or . Plus couldn't use that sight to rack slide back. ( tactical Novak may be different)
    But that was in the 90`s so Novak might last longer

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I would like to have the heinie sights on my new P30 . But have read about cracked P30 slides. I wonder if HK would install them?

I always liked the LOOKS of novak sights on 3rd gen S&W.
    Mine went dim within a year or . Plus couldn't use that sight to rack slide back. ( tactical Novak may be different)
    But that was in the 90`s so Novak might last longer

Novak's are one of my least favorite sights. The rear is not good for my old eyes.

I asked this in the Travis Haley AAR thread, but thought it might be better asked here:

Is there any practical difference, other than personal preference, between the following:

1. Trijicon HDs
    2. Pro-operator w/ CAP front
    3. Pro-operator w/Hack front

I can't afford to experiment with them all...trying to buy once/cry once.

User Tag List