Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Travis Haley's Disruptive Environments: Handgun Vehicle Darkness - Class Observations

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    Was the older school FBI flashlight hold intended as a shooting technique?
    Originally yes, doesn't work for that at all well.

Using handheld lights I find myself flowing between Modified FBI and neck index most often, like 98% of the time. The Rogers technique just doesn't work for me outside of a square range. Harries does at times, if I have a problem to my left or I'm taking a longer ranged shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Seriously though, all that speaks to my experience. I also don't like the "straight-8" sights for the same reason, but top shooters swear by them. Or the blacked out rears. That's not to say they're not great sights for some people, but they don't fit my (current) experience and preference.

If you're thinking about switching sights for a reason other than "I haven't bought anything new in a while", consider what that reason really is. If it's because 3-dot isn't working well for you under some circumstances or for some reason, then maybe it's time for an alternative. If you're just exploring alternatives out of curiosity and want to see if another pattern suits you better, I'd recommend finding someone who's got 'em and spending a little time to see how they work for you. You might need a break-in period to get used to them, but it should give you an idea.
    Dropkick and Sotex and anyone else who might be interested, I'm with Arclight on this.

During this class, I switched to a gun (but the same make/model as my usual handgun) with a simple 3 dot set up. All 3 dots are self illuminated (Tritium). They are Meprolights with yellow dots in the rear, and a green dot up front. For me, the green appears brighter, and the different colors help me quickly differentiate the front and rear sights.

As background, I rarely shoot the gun with these sights. My usual handgun is a competition gun which has with plain black steel sights (no tritium, no paint, nothing other than small serrations).

But with my 3 dot sights, I had no problems shooting accurately and quickly (because of my sights). This was in many different positions under widely varying lighting conditions (including no artificial light, just moonlight).

As Arclight mentioned, the 3 dot set up helps you line the sights up both vertically and horizontally. That's an obvious and basic concept, but it's also very important. I've tried many other sights over the years, but nothing works nearly as well for me in low light conditions as this set up.

Another basic but important concept is knowing your hold over (or hold under, hold off, offset, etc.) for the dots (or other markings on your sight) on your sights. At close ranges, it's not really an issue. But with medium/long distances and/or small targets, the difference between your bullet's point of impact when using the top edge of your sights versus the dots only can be very significant.

When we were shooting in very low light conditions, I couldn't really see the top edge of my sights. I could only see my illuminated dots. But I knew how much to hold under. As JSGlock34 mentioned, we could make head shots on a silhouette at about 75 feet without any light other than a little moonlight.

In the dark unfamiliar environment with a lot of things going on, one of the experienced shooters in the group forgot to hold under. I'm not sure exactly what type of sights he was using. But his hits were off by a lot. Once he remembered he had to hold under, he was dead on.

7A38
    Last edited by Joe Mamma; 08-23-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Red Sharpie on the rear dots cures the issue with the three green dots, quick and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    The CAP sights came from the factory on my Gen3 G17 and while I don't like them as much as the HDs, I probably won't bother changing them (I use that gun pretty rarely). If anything, I may find a two-dot rear sight that's compatible and swap it in, since the front sight of the CAPs is great.
    Several folks here have reported good results with the Pro Operator rear sight and the CAP front. There's a photo of the combination here: http://pistol-training.com/archives/5597

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Several folks here have reported good results with the Pro Operator rear sight and the CAP front. There's a photo of the combination here: http://pistol-training.com/archives/5597
    That's what I have gone to on all of my Glocks. As fast for me as the XS Big Dots but easier to be accurate with at distance.

I may have to try that out, thank you.

I should also note that if you use your flashlight on your CAP sights, you can make them bright enough to read by, briefly. If you're gaming it, you can charge up the front right before a run and have a *really* visible front sight. Not practical for defensive shooting, obviously, but for those inclined to game it and who are working on tracking the front sight, it can be a handy feature.

On the other hand, they're super visible in the dark if you're coming from somewhere that would have charged them up. It doesn't last long, so I wouldn't get worked up about it, but just be aware you could be pretty well lit up.
    "The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to have its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards." - Sir William Francis Butler

Hope this doesn't come off as too petty, but were you required to pick up brass?

At the D3 class I took, the host required us to pick up the brass, which he then kept (1000 cases x 25 students!) Given the high registration fee, the high round count, and high cost of ammo that seemed unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    Hope this doesn't come off as too petty, but were you required to pick up brass?

At the D3 class I took, the host required us to pick up the brass, which he then kept (1000 cases x 25 students!) Given the high registration fee, the high round count, and high cost of ammo that seemed unreasonable.
    If I pick it up then I am keeping it.

That's my rule, except at work where I didn't pay for the ammo to begin with..

Is there any practical difference, other than personal preference, between the following:

1. Trijicon HDs
    2. Pro-operator w/ CAP front
    3. Pro-operator w/Hack front

I can't afford to experiment with them all...trying to buy once/cry once.

Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post

Nope. I thought Engage Armament did a great job of hosting the class. They provided dinner, cold water and refreshments everyday. Definitely felt like I got my money's worth.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List