Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Snub Ammo: FBI load or Short Barrel Gold Dots

On the fixed sight guns I find that a number of the 158gr loads will often shoot to the sights. Many of the old school 158gr loads are actually pretty decent in the FBI testing, and will expand even from the shorter barrels.

Not sure what bullet BB is using, but I know the Winchester, Federal and Remington 158gr JHPs ain't bad.

And to chime in on the OP's topic, I've found that the .38 Special 158gr+P LSWCHPs shoot to POA in the older steel 1 7/8" barrel S&W J-frame snubbies made for the .38 Special round.

The Remington load uses a softer lead bullet, and is really pretty clean, as well as quite acceptably accurate. The Winchester bullet is harder, and it's a surprisingly "dirty" round (lots of smoke and debris in the air with each shot).

Haven't shot the Federal 158gr+P LSWCHP load.

Dunno why, but in my hands the lightweight titanium-frame and scandium-frame S&W 1 7/8" barrel snubbies (they all have "the lock"), which are ostensibly made for shooting .357 Magnum, do NOT shoot to POA with the 158gr .38 Special loads.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    Dunno why, but in my hands the lightweight titanium-frame and scandium-frame S&W 1 7/8" barrel snubbies (they all have "the lock"), which are ostensibly made for shooting .357 Magnum, do NOT shoot to POA with the 158gr .38 Special loads.
    Both my Colt Agent and Ruger LCR shoot nearly a foot high at 25 feet with my 158gr reloads (4.7 Unique; approx 130PF from my 686-5). They're much closer with 125s. Should probably try some 110s through them.

Sell it and buy a REAL revolver!

Quote Originally Posted by tcRenegade View Post

Brother, I suggest you read more and post less.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcRenegade View Post
    The purpose of Pistol-Forum is to engender useful discussion on topics of interest to the membership. This sort of post contributes nothing to the discussion or to the greater knowledge on the topic.

If you have something useful to say, then by all means share with the group.

If not, then keep quiet.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Why would any sane person want to shoot .357 Mag out of a J-frame???
    I will even do you one further.
    M19 -4
    M13-4
    M686 -4
    GP100 -3inch
    M640/649 357mag

I found I could shoot faster and have a tighter group using 38spl +P ! Than the so called famous 125SLHP at 1450-1500FPS! slower time larger group

Doing the bill drill with a 3inch GP100 and using 38spl +P is like cheating!

I sometimes think of dumping my Sig P229 for a 3inch GP100 or 686 no lock and of coarse I will carry my M642 as a bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    And because of that, I have noticed that even in frontal shots where people aren't usually that thick, bullets that consistently hit in the 14-15" range in gelatin tend to either exit and fall on the ground or be caught just under the skin on the backside of the wound track. Our duty ammo consistently exhibits that behavior.
    that's good to know. I guess even the ranger/ PDX1 bonded would do the same

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    that's good to know. I guess even the ranger/ PDX1 bonded would do the same
    Most likely so I would bet.

Almost every single OIS we have had with the 124gr +P Gold Dot has shown similar performance.

User Tag List