Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Triple Lock?

Site Supporter

Talking Triple Lock?

I hate those "what to buy threads" as much as the next guy. So, it is with some degree of trepidation that I'm posting this. Here goes:

I've got the chance to buy a Smith & Wesson 4" .44 Hand Ejector 1st Model in 44 Special. Yep, a Triple Lock. It has a fair amount of holster wear and some light pitting on the frame near the top strap. Also, someone decided to checker the trigger at some point. But, the gun locks up nicely, the bore is shiny and I can't detect any mechanical problems. As near as I can tell, the grips are original and it has never been refinished.

A few questions:

- If I buy this thing, can actually shoot it without risking destroying a neat piece of history?

- Will having it cleaned up and tuned by a reputable revolver smith (Turnbull, Bowen, Cunningham, Etc.) negatively affect it's value since it has already been slightly bubba'd?

- Would you S&W fans out there pick it up if the price was right?

At this point, I'm basically looking to get talked into (or out of) it.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I'd love to find a "shooter grade" Triple Lock.

Given the situation as described, I'd probably have it looked over mechanically and shoot it.

A very few 'smiths, like maybe only Bowen and Turnbull, have a rep sufficient that a refinish from them will not adversely affect a mid-grade gun's price.

(Mind you this about the exact same situation I'm in with my Wolf & Klar Third Model .44 HE, with it being renickeled.)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    I'm a Smith and Wesson "accumulator" and would jump all over a shooter grade Triple Lock. Turnbull would be a good choice and there is a guy north of Dallas near me that used to do astounding restorations of Smiths, but has now stopped that work.

Buy it and shoot it with low pressure lead loads and have fun!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

If the price is right buy it and shoot it with pride. The bubba trigger pretty much robs if of safe queen value.

---

I have/had a few vintage S&W revolvers that I wouldn't carry/shoot as I wanted to keep them in pristine condition. They are nice to have, but shooters are more fun, in my opinion.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    I recommend holding out for an original, unmolested, mechanically sound gun in 95% condition. The cost of ownership will be far below anything customized by Bowen or restored by Turnbull. Here is my Triple Lock Target. It's a fine shooter, good for anything short of "Elmer Keith" loads.
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

Bowen will also do a mechanical and cosmetic rejuvenation without any " customizing", or at least he told me that last I was in his shop. Neat place; you'd like it.

Site Supporter
    Well I've thought long and hard about this one and...

I've decided to pick it up. At $625, I couldn't say no. I think I'll just keep the gun as-is for the time being (with the exception of some Herrett Ropers) and shoot it some. It'll probably be a little while before I can get it paid off and home with me... but I'll add some pictures to this thread when it is finally mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    Well I've thought long and hard about this one and...

I've decided to pick it up. At $625, I couldn't say no. I think I'll just keep the gun as-is for the time being (with the exception of some Herrett Ropers) and shoot it some. It'll probably be a little while before I can get it paid off and home with me... but I'll add some pictures to this thread when it is finally mine.
    At $625 I think you did great, just great. I want to see the pics. I think as others have already said, with moderate loads that should be a very nice shooter! As you know, a Triple Lock is an icon among icons and we are all looking for the good "shooters" that aren't too nice to breathe on.

Heck yeah, keep it as-is until you decide which way to go with it. If any work is needed I would pay somebody like Bowen who knows what they're about a fair price to do it up right. The gun deserves it.

You lucky dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    At $625, I couldn't say no.
    Not if you didn't want to be sent to the shun bench, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Not if you didn't want to be sent to the shun bench, no.

Gotta say too, the Herrett Ropers sound like a good class-act addition. The original Roper grips can get to be an obsession as well, from what I hear.

User Tag List