Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A New Purchase Mindset.

I have been shooting the M9 a lot in the past few months due to being on the Guard Shooting team and I have thought a few times getting another one but when when I train with the M9 it just works.

My EDCs are Glocks and M&Ps and occasionally a J-frame revolver. I have several .22 and 38/357 handguns, mostly revolvers that I can't let go either because my boys shoot them, they are a future project, or have sentimental value. I took the steps earlier this summer to standardize all my EDCs in 9mm because I shoot much better than I did with 40s. Because there's really not much of a difference in the basic concept of firing a Glock vs a non thumb safety M&P vs a S&W J-frame, I think I'm pretty well as standardized as I'm ever going to be.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Bear in mind that Beretta 96s seem to have the lifespan of a fruit fly.
    In that case, picking up a 96 might not be such a good idea. (I looked it up: fruit flies only live about a month.)

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    In that case, picking up a 96 might not be such a good idea. (I looked it up: fruit flies only live about a month.)
    I used to own an HK P30 in .40 S&W. Im done with that round, for good. The last time I shot 200 rounds of that stuff in one sitting the nerves in my hands were smarting fierce for 5 hours.

For an update, last week I shot a Dot Torture drill for the first time with my 92FS . I clocked in 40 out of 50 at 3 yards - I really need work shooting left hand.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am right with you for your first three sentences, but I don't think your last sentence necessarily computes. You could just as easily say that beyond an intermediate level, it is all software, and the same principles apply regardless of platform, with a good shooter being able to shoot them all.

However, I do believe that it is software and not hardware where the gains come from, and if you spend your time chasing platforms instead of technique, you are on the wrong road to improvement.
    To clarify:

I meant that it is a general trend among people with a heavy training focus that they do not seek solutions through hardware/ chase hardware.

I am completely on board with the belief that gains are made through software, so long as the hardware doesn't get in the way or fight the user. For example, Max Michel would perform differently

...with a Kel Tec P3AT than he would with just about any service pistol, by a significant margin.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    I recall at one point thinking I was a collector when I was actually a gun accumulator. Looked at my safe one day and wondered "WTF am I doing with a VP70Z?", etc. Sold off a bunch of guns after that.
    Fistbump.

I used to accumulate, now I collect. And my collection is distinct from my actual guns that work for a living. I see no need to maintain proficiency in speed reloads with my Webley Self-Loading .455 Mk.I(N).
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List