Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Loading .45

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    When you pick up each handful of brass, give it a little shake. You will soon learn the "jingle" of badly split brass. Just search out the offenders in that handful and put them aside for lost brass events. LOL

You will want at least a 550.
    I've never knowingly fired a split case reload. I could pick them out immediately on the SDB as the feedback on the handle was totally different when seating a bullet in a split case. I junked them immediately. (I haven't developed the "touch" on the 650 to detect a split case yet.)

Split case rounds won't fully seat in my case gauge, so I don't believe they would feed reliably in my guns to begin with.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Thanks guys. It's a Wolff 16lb recoil spring with approximately 500 rounds on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 223AI View Post
    Thanks guys. It's a Wolff 16lb recoil spring with approximately 500 rounds on it.
    Then you need to go up a couple of tenths on your powder charge. Or perhaps, as mentioned, you need more (or a different) lube.

I've been shooting 4.2 of WST under a 230 ball bullet for many years in my HK45C. It doesn't function reliably in most other .45 pistols I've tried it in. I recently went up to 4.6, because that's what I load the wife's .40 and the grandson's 9mm training ammunition with, and I got tired of resetting the powder measure when I change calibers. This gives me an average velocity of 770 fps; still mild, but with a bit more recoil.

I suspect your 4.5 load would work with 230gr bullets, but looks like you're settled in on 200gr, so I'd try 4.8. Welcome to loading for 1911s; each one is its own animal. WST is a very versatile powder, and the higher the charge the cleaner it burns.

You'll find the "sweet load" eventually. Just about the time you do, you'll realize that a single stage press is for suckers...

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    . WST is my preferred powder and you will find that 5.2 grains is as soft as you'll want it .
    -- I wouldn't expect anything less than 5 grains to run well.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I've loaded thousands upon thousands of rounds of 45 on a SDB. It is a great little press if you don't plan on changing calibers. I started on a RCBS single stage when I began my reloading career, and when I went to the SDB it was heaven.

I prefer Titegroup, but mainly because I can shoot 9mm, 40, and 45 with it, and I don't like messing around trying to keep different powders on hand. A few 8lb kegs ordered once a year keeps me set. Having said that, the absolute best powder I've found for 45 is Viht N310. Very soft, very clean, and burns cool. $$$ is a bit more, but might be worth it to run at big matches.
    Jeremy Tye
    Nevada Highway Patrol
    USPSA - A62335

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I have a match this weekend at The Rifle Ranch near Hillsboro, TX, and will be carrying the pistol with me then, with stouter loads. It's a 1-day match, thankfully, and is Texas VS Oklahoma in the annual Red River Shootout. The last stage is going to be 3-gun nation style, but with precision rifles mixed in...Should be a good match, and I will definitely have the chance to work out the pistol there.

Quote Originally Posted by A62335 View Post
    I prefer Titegroup, but mainly because I can shoot 9mm, 40, and 45 with it. .
    Ditto WST... and add .38 Special to your list, as well (if you load for that).

VV is a BIT more? Around here, its almost twice as much per pound.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Ditto WST... and add .38 Special to your list, as well (if you load for that).

VV is a BIT more? Around here, its almost twice as much per pound.

WST, eh? How does it compare to Win231? I'm just getting into .38 Spl, and the only powder I was able to find during the drought was IMR 700-X. I've discovered why people don't like flake powders, it meters like kitten. I'd love to get some decent ball powder so I can reload a bit faster.

Now i know why 1911's need to be run a little wet, and a little cleaner than my G-locks. 100 through it tonight with no malf's. I'll clean it before this match, and then try to run it through a 1k challenge. I...I just can't bring myself to do the 2k challenge ...yet.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    WST, eh? How does it compare to Win231? I'm just getting into .38 Spl, and the only powder I was able to find during the drought was IMR 700-X. I've discovered why people don't like flake powders, it meters like kitten. I'd love to get some decent ball powder so I can reload a bit faster.
    WST is a fair bit faster than 231.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

User Tag List