Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Loading .45

I should have never sold my 550....

Here are 50 of my 100 round batch. Crimp at .470, at 4.5gr of WST, 200gr S&S swc at 1.250 Overall length

Honestly, the "Square Deal B" is looking to be my best bet. This was brutal compared to loading precision rifle ammo.
    Last edited by 223AI; 08-16-2013 at 08:58 AM. Reason: wrong OAL

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Brass that had cracked down the side can only be reloaded two or three more times -- half of my brass has no recognizable head stamp.

Eta: you can get a 550 or 650 now, or after you get through that first 2K. Don't say I didn't warn you.
    When you pick up each handful of brass, give it a little shake. You will soon learn the "jingle" of badly split brass. Just search out the offenders in that handful and put them aside for lost brass events. LOL

You will want at least a 550.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    When you pick up each handful of brass, give it a little shake. You will soon learn the "jingle" of badly split brass. Just search out the offenders in that handful and put them aside for lost brass events. LOL

You will want at least a 550.
    +1 on the 550B if you even think this is going to be a steady habit. If you don't like it you'll easily get your money back when you sell it. :-)

When you get done with the WST powder and think you are going to want to experiment with something else, After years as a dedicated Bullseye user I recently switched to Clays. 3.6 to 3.8 under a 230 grain bullet and I am a happy man.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    +1 on the 550B if you even think this is going to be a steady habit. If you don't like it you'll easily get your money back when you sell it. :-)

When you get done with the WST powder and think you are going to want to experiment with something else, After years as a dedicated Bullseye user I recently switched to Clays. 3.6 to 3.8 under a 230 grain bullet and I am a happy man.

I have been a Clays user for about 20 years. 3.8 grains under a 200 LSWC. Recently I picked up some WST to try but have not gotten around to it just yet.

You do have to be careful with bullet setback when shooting Clays. It is a fast burning powder.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I went from WST to clays and back. Clays shot soft but SD was never great and there's a lot more play in the throttle with WST. I recently picked up some Titegroup to play with but am detouring to Lugerville for a while.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Tried Tightgroup and it was great except that it burns HOT, HOT, HOT. In quick moving classes guns get literally to hot to handle, especially revolvers.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    it burns HOT, HOT, HOT.
    Awesome, I was looking for a good P7 load.
    Ignore Alien Orders

- UPDATE -

1. I'm not blown up
    2. They shot very softly, huge difference from factory ammo
    3. Accurate, but the gun shoots a little right. Confirmed with an actual instructor and compared to a Glock 17 and a Beretta 92
    4. I am the worst pistol shooter known to man
    5. I had two malfunctions in 100 rounds: both were failures to fully chamber a round. A slight pull backward on the slide had the round fully chambered. The pistol was dry, meaning there was no lube/grease on the gun. The gun was dirty from a 200 round factory session from the previous week, and not cleaning it after a PRS match with lots of New Mexico sand and wind.

So, now I go grease shopping and I cleaned the hell out of the gun. I lubed it with FrogLube CLP while I find out what lubricant works best. Rails, hammer, barrel, recoil spring all god a healthy does of the FrogLube....other than that, any ideas as to why the gun had those malfunctions? Mags were Tripp Cobra mags, 8 rounders.

Thanks,
    JP

Quote Originally Posted by 223AI View Post

So, now I go grease shopping and I cleaned the hell out of the gun. I lubed it with FrogLube CLP while I find out what lubricant works best. Rails, hammer, barrel, recoil spring all god a healthy does of the FrogLube....other than that, any ideas as to why the gun had those malfunctions? Mags were Tripp Cobra mags, 8 rounders.

Thanks,
    JP
    Normally, i'd say check extractor tension/geometry, or for burrs on the firing pin hole, but that's less likely on a Ned Christiansen gun. Lube it, that should help a lot. What # recoil spring are you using?

Could be lube or ammo is too light.

First place I would check after that is the recoil spring.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List