Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST 9mm 124+P ammo for duty, anyone have a lead

Quote Originally Posted by A62335 View Post
    Thanks to everyone that chimed in here, and big thanks to Irish for getting me up and running. I was able to chase down a case of 124+P GD, so once that arrives I'll replace what I borrowed from Irish, and throw him a 6 pack or two of some adult beverages.
    I'll get the carne asada and have the grill fired up

I love it when a good plan comes together....

Walked into the armory yesterday to pick up my 1 box of issued 9mm ammo, and started talking with our head firearms guy. He informed me that there is a policy change currently in the works to switch from 124+P to 147 standard pressure ammo. So, that gorgeous case of 124+P Gold Dots that got delivered yesterday will forever sit in my safe. At least 147 HST is easy to find, and cheaper than Gold Dots. And, being the nice guy that he is, firearms guy gave me a couple extra boxes of ammo to offset the $$$ I just wasted on ammo I can't use.

FML
    Jeremy Tye
    Nevada Highway Patrol
    USPSA - A62335

Walked into the armory yesterday to pick up my 1 box of issued 9mm ammo, and started talking with our head firearms guy. He informed me that there is a policy change currently in the works to switch from 124+P to 147 standard pressure ammo. So, that gorgeous case of 124+P Gold Dots that got delivered yesterday will forever sit in my safe. At least 147 HST is easy to find, and cheaper than Gold Dots. And, being the nice guy that he is, firearms guy gave me a couple extra boxes of ammo to offset the $$$ I just wasted on ammo I can't use.

FML
    Glad to hear you're all set and squared away.

FML
    I mean, how will they know?

Pull bullets, weigh them and write you up?

Say you have an OIS. are they going to weigh any recovered slugs? For just over 20 grains difference? After its hit it's target?

Live dangerously brahma
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post

Say you have an OIS. are they going to weigh any recovered slugs? For just over 20 grains difference? After its hit it's target?

Live dangerously brahma

Speer +P cases rather than Federal non +P cases. The 124+P Gold Dot and the 147 HST are both excellent 9mm rounds and it seems as if the HST is slowly being accepted by LEA's.

"Slowly being accepted"???

For nearly the past decade, HST's have been the most commonly used handgun loads out here, followed by the Ranger Talon and Gold Dot.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post

For nearly the past decade, HST's have been the most commonly used handgun loads out here, followed by the Ranger Talon and Gold Dot.
    Nationwide?

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post

Live dangerously brahma
    Not a risk I am willing to take. In addition to not wanting to take the slim chance of having to testify about why I wasn't using dept. issued/approved ammo in an OIS, I also don't want to have to deal with the Lt./Capt. should they decide to do a random weapons inspection. I'll roll with the ammo in my car as extra in case WWIII breaks out somewhere, but I won't use it until all of my 147's are expended. It's a moot point now anyways, there is a case of 147 HST on it's way to me as we speak, thanks to the guys at Salt Lake Wholesale.
    Jeremy Tye
    Nevada Highway Patrol
    USPSA - A62335

Limiting a department to only one duty ammo choice nowadays isn't really smart. Even a department can guarantee they will get their chosen ammo when they need it. Best to have an alternative.

Being the guy responsible for making sure duty ammo shows up and gets delivered I have a pretty good idea what it takes to get that done.
    Back in 2006 we couldn't get our chosen 124gr +P Gold Dot, so we ended up with 124gr +P Ranger-T instead. You know what? It still worked.

If I had a PD I would issue ammo but allow anything on Doc's duty ammo list as authorized.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post

Doc, Nationwide or on the West Coast?. Nationwide I thought it would be Gold Dot, Ranger T then HST.

User Tag List