Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Delta Airlines and ammo...

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN

Delta Airlines and ammo...

Flying to a 3 Gun match when I only had to take two guns because I was shooting someone's borrowed shotgun was a lot simpler. This time I've got my own gauge, which means I need to lug huge boxes of ammo that won't fit in the borrowed Pelican 1750.

Delta appears to not lose continence if the factory-packed shotgun ammo is in a soft-sided suitcase. Can anyone confirm?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    By soft sided suitcase do you mean your typical nylon rollaboard?

If so, then no issues, I have done it literally dozens of times. I'm sure you know about the 11 pound limit.

If you are talking soft sided suitcase as being your typical sports bag or kit bag, then I don't know for sure and apologize for wasting 0s and 1s.

Maxpedition Fliegerduffel. (The irony is that my suitcase is designed to fit carryon specs, but because I travel with so much impedimentia that must be checked, it's never been carried on... )

We are diminished
    Firearms need to be in a locked, hard-sided case. Ammunition, as long as it's packaged in an airline approved manner, can be stowed in any checked luggage (other than the locked, hard-sided case that is storing the firearms).

Fly Delta exclusively CONUS and have never had a problem with ammo in soft sided checked luggage.

No problems with Delta and ammo, whether in factory boxes, other plastic (reload) boxes, mags, or others.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Firearms need to be in a locked, hard-sided case. Ammunition, as long as it's packaged in an airline approved manner, can be stowed in any checked luggage (other than the locked, hard-sided case that is storing the firearms).
    Delta didn't beef me about the ammo in the hard case last year. (I usually wind up flying 'Murrican, and they never have, either.) If they do this year, I'm just boned; I am barely avoiding a third piece of checked baggage as it is... The stuff in with my socks and PJs and T-shirts is just a couple boxes of shotgun shells that wouldn't fit in the Pelican, no way, no how.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Delta didn't beef me about the ammo in the hard case last year.
    Now that you type it out, I know you're right. I got my "in the trunk of the car" rules mixed up with my "in a suitcase" rules.

I even had a go 'round with an airline clerk about this very issue one year (and the ensuing debacle got me a free upgrade to first class for the coast-to-coast flight).

Sorry for the bad info.

For bonus points, I'm using Shootin' Buddy's borrowed Pelican (mine's too small) and he's been on some Tiger McKee jag, so the foam is cut for a brace of el-strippo flat-top AR's with fixed BUIS, and not a carbine and a gauge all fruited up with lasers, phasers, and windspeed indicators for playing 3 Gun in the dark...

I had to sit on the thing to close it. It took me fifteen minutes just to get all the batteries out of the things that had lithium cells in them...

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Fly Delta exclusively CONUS and have never had a problem with ammo in soft sided checked luggage.
    I cannot tell you how reassuring this is. Seriously.

User Tag List