Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frickin' Frangibles!

I'm not sure Bill, I'm hearing a bit more lately about the debris left behind from the lead free priming compounds as being more abrasive than the normal stuff.

While you may be completely correct ref Glocks, if the stuff is more abrasive to Glocks it would stand to reason that it's more abrasive to all guns.

Ref Tam's post; a couple of years ago we burned up several thousand rounds of lead free military 9mm ammo that got donated to us. The bullets were light and thus shot low, accuracy was poor, and recoil was so light that if your grip and stance weren't perfect then you got a for real "limp wrist" stoppage.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    I'm not sure Bill, I'm hearing a bit more lately about the debris left behind from the lead free priming compounds as being more abrasive than the normal stuff.

While you may be completely correct ref Glocks, if the stuff is more abrasive to Glocks it would stand to reason that it's more abrasive to all guns.

Ref Tam's post; a couple of years ago we burned up several thousand rounds of lead free military 9mm ammo that got donated to us. The bullets were light and thus shot low, accuracy was poor, and recoil was so light that if your grip and stance weren't perfect then you got a for real "limp wrist" stoppage.
    I have an ongoing argument with a dude at Picatinny over this.

He believes what you have been told. I'm convinced by the circular erosion seen here: http://pistol-training.com/archives/6734
    It's obvious that it isn't just particulate/hot gas erosion, but that's a significant bit. And most high round count Glocks have that. At least all the ones I've seen.

Concerning the Glocks vs all guns comment. Actually, if it were simple abrasion, I would expect the Glocks (anything surface hardened) to fare the best. Though I do believe HK, Sig, and S&W through hardened their slides before FCN treatment (I cannot swear to that, so don't put any stock in it).

And truth be told, if I had conclusive/convincing data pointing to the the actual culprit, I wouldn't be arguing with my buddy over that.
    Last edited by BLR; 08-18-2013 at 07:10 AM.

I've seen agencies that issue both Glocks and S&W while using lead free primers--the Glocks get badly pitted on the breach face and strikers, the S&W's not so much...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I've seen agencies that issue both Glocks and S&W while using lead free primers--the Glocks get badly pitted on the breach face and strikers, the S&W's not so much...
    Thanks for confirm.

User Tag List