Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Auto-pilot?

We are diminished
    KB -- means a lot to hear that your real world experience jives with my theoretical mumbling, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    KB -- means a lot to hear that your real world experience jives with my theoretical mumbling, dude.
    You know how much it pains me to compliment you as well...

Its a very interesting topic, both from a shooting performance standpoint, and the bodies reaction to extreme stress, and the decision making procedure that gets involved when to two meet.

You can see what happens when the body does go on "auto-pilot" and the mind does not stop the trigger from shooting even when the threats (real or perceived) are gone, folks get killed who should not have been, and the shooter pays the piper either legally and/or emotionally (and/or just being judged as a douche for the rest of their life).

I'm still super pissed I missed the range Monday, worse as the daughter was fine and the doctor said it was simply a 24hr bug.
    Last edited by KevinB; 08-16-2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Forgot the Not
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

I would hope in an actual "OMG! Incoming fire!" situation, a person could/would keep their wits about them and would not go full "auto-pilot" and just blaze away. (I would think training would help overcome this tendency.)

BUT even in that situation, once the decision has been made to fire, the subconscious mind takes control for that shot. The conscious mind stays out of the way to avoid the "NOW!" syndrome on the trigger.

I liken it to the formation of an organic AND gate between the ears. The conscious mind enables the gate with the "Clear to fire" signal while the subconscious triggers the gate when the proper sight picture is achieved. Presto! A good trigger press.

As always no one's ever shot at me and I've never shot at anyone, a situation I'm quite content with, so I can only theorize. This is the place to discuss this IMHO as its not possible to swing a cat w/o hitting at least three SME's.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

In my little experience in a life threating situation you are going to go on autopilot and goog training is going to make the difference between the autopilot bringing you in for a safe landing or crashing.

The first time our COP came under attack I rolled out of my bunk and was lying on the floor grabbing for my gear before I woke up from the second RPG going over my head. I don't remember hearing the first.

A common example of why we need to be there for some things is when guys who have trained run into a surprise on the street, and a pistol magically appears in their hand at about the same time they think they might need it. That sort of draw, in reflecting back on it afterwards, is a very satisfying feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    A common example of why we need to be there for some things is when guys who have trained run into a surprise on the street, and a pistol magically appears in their hand at about the same time they think they might need it. That sort of draw, in reflecting back on it afterwards, is a very satisfying feeling.
    I know of what you speak.
    Prior to running WML's, I used the SSIII duty holster. I practiced a lot, and always felt like I struggled with it during qualifications. But I specifically recall two instances at work where my gun just "magically appeared in my hand".

I had some of the bad autopilot tonight while shooting the CTC Midnight Tres-Gun. I am running a Sig P229, and the first rounds out of the gun I was thinking "Jesus, the muzzle flash looks incredible, wow that's amazing". And I kept looking at the flash instead of the bumpy bits on the front of the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I had some of the bad autopilot tonight while shooting the CTC Midnight Tres-Gun. I am running a Sig P229, and the first rounds out of the gun I was thinking "Jesus, the muzzle flash looks incredible, wow that's amazing". And I kept looking at the flash instead of the bumpy bits on the front of the gun.
    This describes a totally different "zone" that I operate in most of the time - the "normal dustyvarmint zone". Like today when I mentally rehearse the Tactical Sequence stage over and over in my mind and still shoot the first target twice and when I eject the magazine for no apparent reason after shooting a popper/activator...

happy shooting, dv
    "Draw fast, shoot well," Mike W.

That sort of thing is why I like to push the idea of getting as much experience as possible in as many different venues as you can.

During a range drill I put on during our in-service I had a COF where the shooters had to blast simulated feet, shooting under a Crown Vic. A bunch of the shooters were at first weirded out by the muzzle blast being reflected back at them by the car body, several ceased fire momentarily becasue they thought they had F'd up and shot the car. Even with ear pro they were mentally a bit shocked at how loud that was.

During the gunfight last December where two of our guys were murdered the third officer got an angle on the suspect and started laying rounds into the car from behind. He recalls stopping firing for a second because he blew the back glass out of the car, something he had never done or seen done before.

Had a negative auto-pilot today during competition.

Long gun short-stroked.
    COF was not clear on whether or not the pistol was permitted to be loaded and I did the dumb thing and didn't ask, so when the long gun puked I had no option to go to pistol.
    Once I got the rifle back up, I basically watched myself perform poorly in an attempt to regain time.
    Stupid.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

User Tag List