Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old story - first DA shot

Angry Old story - first DA shot

At local indoor range today I shot a hundred rounds from a Beretta 92fs 9mm. In the past, I’ve just banged away and congratulated myself on fair to middling results. Not today. This time I wanted to fire repeated shots from de-cock, double action. It occurred to me maybe late in life (I hope not too late) that the FIRST shot [in DA] is THE MOST important shot - so let’s focus on that.

Am I surprised, frustrated, and seriously pissed off? YES, DAMIT!!!!

Apparently, from SA I’m not too shabby [well . . . you know, for ME] but from DA - WHOA! Hitting the paper was an event, let alone hitting the target. I guess I’d been in denial before by firing the first shot DA and the remainder of the mag SA. So the blinders are now GONE.

Questions: (1) CAN first shot DA proficiency be seriously improved? Keep in mind that I'm looking at 70 for my next birthday in October(2) If so, HOW? (3) If so, how long would it take the average shooter to see some improvement? I mean, if I can’t do better than this, I’ll be moving over to cocked and locked or striker fired. I don't want to become a corpse because I screwed up the first DA shot.

HELP!!!

The short answer is yes. Start with "Fear Not, The Double Action Shot!" on the pistol-training.com site.

Mark

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    There's nothing inherently wrong with a DA trigger pull.

Actually, and even taking into account that my main CCW belt guns are single-action autos, if somebody said "I'll bet you a hunnert dollars that you can't snatch that pistol up off that table and hit that bullseye 25 yards away, right now," I'd want 'that pistol' to be a S&W revolver with a good DA pull.

I think part of the reason for this is the fact that a DA trigger is just easier to dry-practice with than an SA trigger you have to re-cock between snaps...

That article mgoble mentioned was/is a big help to me.

http://pistol-training.com/articles/...le-action-shot

Good article. I had a to carry and qualify with a Beretta M92 for a year or so. I found that dry firing helped immensely.

That Ernest Langdon article + lots of dryfire is what helped me most when I was still shooting DA/SA.

We are diminished
    oboe -- Can the DA/SA gun be mastered? Absolutely. It's been proven plenty of times.

However, it requires some dedicated practice. I cannot tell you how many "name" instructors I've met who have little experience with DA guns, can't tell you how to shoot them well, and just dismiss the guns as second rate. The article that was referenced above is a great primer on the DA first shot.

Furthermore, if your grip strength is compromised due to age, injury, arthritis, etc., you are at a greater disadvantage with a long heavy trigger stroke compared to something lighter and shorter.

If the idea of mastering a new system at age 70 is motivational to you, go for it!

But if you're more concerned with the practical capability you'll have with a pistol in the short term, changing to a DA gun is not the easy path.

All it takes is lots of dry fire. I shoot a P226, and what really made the difference for me is the distinction that I'm rowing the trigger - like an oar - not slapping it. Visualizing pulling it straight back, and allowing my brain to figure out exactly how to do it, has also helped me along the process.

Look at it this way, once you can master a 12lb double action pull, you can shoot anything well.
    All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by domogun View Post
    All it takes is lots of dry fire. I shoot a P226, and what really made the difference for me is the distinction that I'm rowing the trigger - like an oar - not slapping it. Visualizing pulling it straight back, and allowing my brain to figure out exactly how to do it, has also helped me along the process.

Look at it this way, once you can master a 12lb double action pull, you can shoot anything well.
    Good post.

Dry firing has helped me improve enormously with the DA trigger.
    Help Protect Our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join The NRA

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less". General Robert E. Lee

Thanks for the input. Yes, I read the Langston article yesterday - seems that even on other web sites, it's highly recommended. I've also read a lot of other advice, so I have a lot of thinking and a lot of shooting ahead. If after working on this over the next few months it doesn't improve, I then might be better off conceding my lack of skill and moving along to something that works better for me - but first, I will try!

User Tag List