Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: any 2-day shotgun course recommendations?

Oops, almost forgot.

Contact either the last Vice President or the current one, as both seem to have some scattergun expertise.

Maybe we could talk Tom into doing a shotgun symposium at some point.........just a thought. It would be kind of neat to have a group of shotgun SME's in one place. We are finding that those with extensive experience running the shotgun as a primary system are a dying breed, yet there is a lot of demand for training, especially for those citizens trapped behind enemy lines. I have both attended and taught a ton of shotgun classes and it was my go to system for most of my career for high risk situations. I learned a ton about the system from Bill Jeans (especially on the mindset side of things), a ton about how to really run the gun in the field from Scott Reitz (gun handling and tactics/manipulations), and how to run the gun fast from Rob Haught (marksmanship part of the equation). We teach sort of a combo of the above combined with personal experience.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I know it's a bit out of the box, but if you can't find a shotgun specific class, you can ask an instructor doing a rifle class if you can do the class with a shotgun loaded with slug.

I did in January of this year, and it was a good experience running a pump action shotgun in a class paced for AR-15 rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    I know it's a bit out of the box, but if you can't find a shotgun specific class, you can ask an instructor doing a rifle class if you can do the class with a shotgun loaded with slug.

I did in January of this year, and it was a good experience running a pump action shotgun in a class paced for AR-15 rifles.
    That is a way for someone well versed on the 12 gauge to get some practice at running at speed. The problem is that it slows down the rest of the class, and you will not be getting any true instruction on the system. It would be like showing up at AFHF with a single action revolver. I know guys who could certainly hang, but very few. For a total newbie who brings their Vaquero to a class geared around modern semi autos, they would be a distraction to the entire class, and not get much out of it themselves.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

I see that locally with both shotguns and revolvers. Not many people teach revolver specific skills anymore.

I would love to hit a training with a few shotgun instructors in attendance, a shotgun summit would rock.

Concur!

Except you know someone is going to bring their double barrel coach gun...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

We are diminished
    Agree 100% with nyeti: if you show up to swim lessons expecting the instructor to help you with your tennis game...

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    I see that locally with both shotguns and revolvers. Not many people teach revolver specific skills anymore.

I would love to hit a training with a few shotgun instructors in attendance, a shotgun summit would rock.
    We could probably do a pretty good revolver summit as well........

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Concur!

Except you know someone is going to bring their double barrel coach gun...
    Surely you jest.

I would be delighted to take another shotgun class, and also a class focusing on the J-frame or other small revolvers.

User Tag List