Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AIWB and Corrosion

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Leather holster or kydex?

The only time I've had substantial corrosion on a pistol was after spending two days on the range in the rain wearing a leather holster. The leather absorbed moisture and I left the gun in there for almost a week without any attempt to dry out the holster or the gun. It created a small amount of surface corrosion on an M&P9.
    Leather for 2013, neglected to dry out the Coke from one month ago. I'll take a peek inside the gun one of these days.

The most corrosion resistant (and wear for that matter) would be a composite coating - such as a high phos electroless nickel with a good barrier coating, such as Cerakote, applied over it.

I haven't experienced any corrosion, but carrying a Glock 22 in a CCC Shaggy AIWB, it accumulates an incredible amount of lint. Disproportionate amounts in the ejection port, muzzle, around the sights, basically everywhere the holster covers. It's not an issue as long as I wipe it down regularly, but I never experienced this with a traditional IWB rig.
    Shooter's Digest Blog

Quote Originally Posted by 66L View Post
    I haven't experienced any corrosion, but carrying a Glock 22 in a CCC Shaggy AIWB, it accumulates an incredible amount of lint. Disproportionate amounts in the ejection port, muzzle, around the sights, basically everywhere the holster covers. It's not an issue as long as I wipe it down regularly, but I never experienced this with a traditional IWB rig.
    Similar observation here. I've started dry firing numerous times and noticed that my tall serated warren sight is covered in lint.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    The most corrosion resistant (and wear for that matter) would be a composite coating - such as a high phos electroless nickel with a good barrier coating, such as Cerakote, applied over it.
    As long as it's integral, sure. When a coating like that gets violated, a medium like sweat provides a really good catalyst for galvanic corrosion ebcause of the differing metals involved. If you are one of those people who have very corrosive sweat (a friend of mine wears the stippling off of backstraps pretty routinely), a straight polymer directly over the base metal is probably better. Of course, high phos EN is plenty hard and non-porous, so I usually only get nervous about violation if there's a deformation involved, like a buckling beam.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    As long as it's integral, sure. When a coating like that gets violated, a medium like sweat provides a really good catalyst for galvanic corrosion ebcause of the differing metals involved. If you are one of those people who have very corrosive sweat (a friend of mine wears the stippling off of backstraps pretty routinely), a straight polymer directly over the base metal is probably better. Of course, high phos EN is plenty hard and non-porous, so I usually only get nervous about violation if there's a deformation involved, like a buckling beam.
    Buckling beam?!?! LOL, if you have that, you've bigger problems!

Insofar as corrosion resistance, EN is about as good as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinh View Post

Classic example of framunda. Proper hygiene and weapons maintenance is the remedy.

Corrosion pitting on my P2000SK, this part of the slide is in direct contact with my skin.
    Even the much vaunted H&K "Hostile Environment" finish can't stand up to daily AIWB carry in New Mexico.

"For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

A tidbit the FCN/Melonite/etc crowd fails to recognize when discussing corrosion - that system is attacked quite aggressively with acidic (even mildly acidic) solutions.

...and the acidic, chloride containing sweat will do a real number on hard chrome too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    A tidbit the FCN/Melonite/etc crowd fails to recognize when discussing corrosion - that system is attacked quite aggressively with acidic (even mildly acidic) solutions.

...and the acidic, chloride containing sweat will do a real number on hard chrome too.
    Still haven't rusted yours. I keep trying.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

User Tag List