Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone shooting a Non-AR or AK based rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Vinh View Post
    Does the SCAR 16S count?

I've only got 4.7k through mine. Was there anything in particular you wanted to know?
    How similar are the manual of arms for the SCAR versus the AR? malfunction clearances etc? is there anything you dislike about the SCAR? I've handled one but never fired one, same with the newer varient AUG, which is a very handy size.

I'm very familiar with the AR and I was contemplating picking up a Daniel Defense to play with and see what's new in the way of pieces and parts. All of my AR experience is with the full sized rifle with iron sights from way back when the AR wasn't cool and mounting an optic on one wasn't a trivial task. Same with the HK and M1A and a M1 in .308, all great rifles that I got rid of for some reason or another.

I guess I view the M4's current popularity as another fad and I want to make sure I don't spend my money on the wrong rifle, even if it's not "the" thing right now. The cost of a SCAR is easily matched building and tinkering with an AR to get it "just right", which I WILL DO. If my addiction to 1911s taught me nothing else it's that I'll tinker a gun to death given the slightest opportunity. The newer rifles are what they are, there's not an after market industry slely devoted to supporting those rifles with literally thousands of parts to try and blow money on. With a newer rifle you mount an optic on it and shoot it, there's not much else you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I'm actually a big fan of the general layout of the ACR... now if they can just get the rest of the gun squared-away we'd really have something...
    I love the ACR concept. I just wish Busmaster/Remington had stuck to one of the aspects Magpul had targeted during development - a pricepoint about in line with a high-end AR.

Quote Originally Posted by part-time shooter View Post
    I guess I view the M4's current popularity as another fad
    How do you justify this statement?

Quote Originally Posted by commandar View Post
    I love the ACR concept. I just wish Busmaster/Remington had stuck to one of the aspects Magpul had targeted during development - a pricepoint about in line with a high-end AR.
    I suspect that the design is salvageable... first thing I would scrap is the unnecessary quick-change barrel system. Next get a hammer-forged lightweight 1/7 barrel in there.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by part-time shooter
    If my addiction to 1911s taught me nothing else it's that I'll tinker a gun to death given the slightest opportunity. The newer rifles are what they are, there's not an after market industry slely devoted to supporting those rifles with literally thousands of parts to try and blow money on. With a newer rifle you mount an optic on it and shoot it, there's not much else you can do.
    Oh, I agree on that. When I say "aftermarket support", mind you, I'm not talking about being able to buy custom anodized titanium roll pins, I'm talking about the fact that if my bolt cracked in half right now at 10:11AM on a Saturday morning, I could go buy a new one from a half dozen different places in town and not have my gun deadlined until customer service got around to helping me out.

Next get a hammer-forged lightweight 1/7 barrel in there.
    Yeah, at the price they're charging, the 1:9 barrel is near unforgivable, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by part-time shooter View Post
    How similar are the manual of arms for the SCAR versus the AR? malfunction clearances etc? is there anything you dislike about the SCAR? I've handled one but never fired one, same with the newer varient AUG, which is a very handy size.
    Manual of arms is pretty close and transition from AR to 16s is easy; 17s is a bit different.
    Malfunction clearances are an absolute breeze, much faster than with AR. For immediate action, you don't need to take rifle off the target. For remedial action, right handed shooter can lock bolt back with one hand. It really shines here.

Dislikes: short and tall foregrip with limited rail space. It is almost silly how little space is on the sides; I have to use tape switch for my light. IMO, they should include rail extension in the package. Don't like the design of front sight. Need to think optic mount choices carefully. Above all, limited parts supply, although some are available.
    Last edited by YVK; 05-14-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Oh, I agree on that. When I say "aftermarket support", mind you, I'm not talking about being able to buy custom anodized titanium roll pins, I'm talking about the fact that if my bolt cracked in half right now at 10:11AM on a Saturday morning, I could go buy a new one from a half dozen different places in town and not have my gun deadlined until customer service got around to helping me out.
    That's an excellent point and a good case for buying enough spare parts or a more easily maintained AR in case the modern gun goes down.

I love the AR and basically everything about it. I have been running a Bushmaster for the last 6 years. I have put thousands of rounds through it and haven't had to replace any parts. The only thing I've done to it is added a Viking Tactics tube, tact lever on the charging handle, Redi-Mag, MI sling plate, Viking Tactics sling and flashlight mount with a Surefire flashlight, Magpul grip, Troy BUIS, and finally Aimpoint Comp M4s w/ LaRue Tactical QD Mount.

I know that SOF has now switched to the FN Scar, but some still use the AR. All the greats have used/still use the AR today. For example: SOF, CAG, DEVGRU, SEALS, Rangers, AF PJ's and CCT, ect.
    Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there. Eighty are just targets. Nine are real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one. One is a warrior, and he will bring back the others.

How do you justify this statement?
    My personal opinion actually, but it seems to me that the current explosion of AR rifles coincides with the current issues in the middle east and the many many men and women serving in that area of the world. I'm willing to bet that for a large majority of those in the service the M4 was the first rifle they'd ever held and fired. It's what they know and what they'll want to keep with them even after they leave the service or want a personal one stateside with which to train or just plink.

I also believe that there are a TON of men and women too that were never exposed to shooting early on as many of us were in the 60's, 70's, and to a lesser extent the 80's. I know I still meet guys now in their mid to late 30s just "discovering" the shooting sports. They flock to the internet to educate themselves, hopefully, and are met with a huge amount of information on the AR rifle and little else other than the AK and it's almost as bad and there seems to be more voodoo involved in getting a "good" AK.

I think if the US issued MP5s to most troops then you'd be seeing the same thing with it and not the M4, and 9mm would cost $1/round.

of course that's just my opinion and everyone knows what those are like....

User Tag List