Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Anyone shooting a Non-AR or AK based rifle?

Got this sitting in the safe....

Name:  P1050743.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  57.6 KB

Polish AKM/PMKM parts kit built on a Hungarian FEG AKM receiver, built in the early 2000's by Global Trades. Got it from a friend during an estate sale. It shoots as nice as it looks.

I'll play.

In addition to the DD M4, I've got a SA SOCOM 16 with an Aimpoint Comp M2 and a SF X200 on the foregrip (not the gaudy SOCOM II version; I personally installed the Picatinny rail to the foregrip). Is it perfect? No. It's loud as can be, even when fired outside, and the manual of arms is less than ideal compared to the M4. Does it work? Absolutely. Would I get rid of it? Never.

Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    Got this sitting in the safe....

Name:  P1050743.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  57.6 KB

Polish AKM/PMKM parts kit built on a Hungarian FEG AKM receiver, built in the early 2000's by Global Trades. Got it from a friend during an estate sale. It shoots as nice as it looks.
    Nice piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Nice piece.
    Thanks to you, bro!

I am a huge fan of the Steyr AUG. Piston, quick change barrel, easy to run from vehicles and indoors....near perfect. The only issue is expense and parts, so I am sticking with the AR based guns as my primary rifles. I have started messing around with modern AK's, but it is hard to beat a properly set up AR based gun.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I use a VZ-58 pattern rifle more than anything else. It's light, relatively accurate for x39, and runs well. There were a few at a Hackathorn rifle class this spring, including mine.

I have a T1 on mine and a CTR stock on an inline adapter. It works well. I particularly like the $200/crate ammo aspect of it, though. If the ammo were the same price as 5.56, I'd probably mainly run an AR.

Site Supporter
    I bought a BCM Mid Length AR... and then bought an Arsenal SGL 21-71.

I like the AK, I've run it at matches, the gun is controllable, honestly, it is.

Prepare to be underwhelmed.

The first 6 shots are all head shots (that was the game, flip the card, find out if you're shooting body or head for the first six, so, I moved to the next table, and could shoot the bodies twice), the next four can be two to the body or one to the head.

I can run the AR faster (two videos below), magazine changes are easier and I can manipulate it much easier with both hands, and can configure it to do so. (I'm left eye dominant, but given course lay outs, I routinely need to switch to right handed with long arms mid course... I shoot long arms left handed and handguns right handed, so it's really not that bad, I just need to make sure to concentrate.)

I like both weapons, the AR's controls make it much a dream comparatively to operate. But both are easy to shoot. I think the AK's rear sight sucks and could be improved by purchasing a peep sight (such as the krebs custom).

I've shot a SCAR... it was a 10.5'', but definitely has it's own feel when shooting... it does have a long recoil impulse, and I found it my hands, the gun seemed to kind of rock up and down (for me, but I'm also used to shooting AK's and AR's)... I think with the VLTOR Tube and an AR stock being a little higher on the gun, maybe it would make things different.

The recoil characteristics were a much smooth operation, but I feel I'm faster with AR's/AK's, I also only shot I think 20-30 rounds, so... That's not really anything definitive.

I think that also might be different because it was an SBR, it's also much lighter weight than an AR, it also has a very large carrier, so that might also exacerbate it, it also has a much longer/slower motion (I don't think it's a slower cyclic rate, it's just hard to describe for me) I'd really strongly recommend shooting one before buying one... It's a much different recoil characteristic than an AR, I'd also recommend handling one, being one who really has to use an ambi-safety, I didn't like the selector a whole lot, but I could get used to it.

I *do* like the reciprocating handle, but I also don't shoot for a living, but for manhandling malfunctions, I like that carry over from the AK.

I'd still recommend a DI 16'' Midlength AR for just about anyone as a general purpose rifle, and yes I SAID IT, GENERAL PURPOSE.

ETA: I'll also say this... for the AK being what it was in 1947... that thing was a darn space gun compared to the M1 Garand, and yes I completely think they ripped off the German STG-44 in concept (and some aspects), and I know they just flat out stole the M1 Garand's trigger design.

I mean for Pete's sake the Soviet Union created an exact copy of one of our long range bombers (I can't remember the model off the top of my head) when they had one in their hands, to deliver nuclear weapons.

The B29.

ETA: I'll also say this... for the AK being what it was in 1947... that thing was a darn space gun compared to the M1 Garand, and yes I completely think they ripped off the German STG-44 in concept (and some aspects), and I know they just flat out stole the M1 Garand's trigger design.

I mean for Pete's sake the Soviet Union created an exact copy of one of our long range bombers (I can't remember the model off the top of my head) when they had one in their hands, to deliver nuclear weapons.
    That would be the Tupolev TU-4 a reverse engineered copy of a B-29 with Soviet designed engines.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I use a VZ-58 pattern rifle more than anything else. It's light, relatively accurate for x39, and runs well. There were a few at a Hackathorn rifle class this spring, including mine.

I have a T1 on mine and a CTR stock on an inline adapter. It works well. I particularly like the $200/crate ammo aspect of it, though. If the ammo were the same price as 5.56, I'd probably mainly run an AR.
    Nice. I've got a Czechpoint VZ-58 and like it alot. TCinVA and myself both shot VZ-58's in the Larry Vickers AK class last spring in NC. Mine went down for the count during the first walkback drill, and I finished the class with an SGL-21.

The rifle went back to Czechpoint and it was determined that a non OEM after market trigger was the culprit, and it was repaired free of charge. An FFL (whom I no longer use) admitted he swapped the trigger on the rifle to make it "match grade".

User Tag List