Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone shooting a Non-AR or AK based rifle?

Anyone shooting a Non-AR or AK based rifle?

I've been looking at different Bushmasters and a Remington, the look like SCAR varients, instead of jumping on the AR bandwagon. I just find it hard to believe an AR is still state of the art 50 years after the widespread use of the platform. I guess the same could be said for the 1911.

Does anyone have any experience with these rifles? or maybe the updated AUG?

Thanks.

The only thing about the AR less than state of the art are the ergos. Otherwise it is one of the most reliable, simple, and easy to service rifles around. The ACR and SCAR are nice for modern ergonomics, but I don't know that I see paying 2x as much as a very nice AR for one.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by commandar View Post
    The only thing about the AR less than state of the art are the ergos. Otherwise it is one of the most reliable, simple, and easy to service rifles around. The ACR and SCAR are nice for modern ergonomics, but I don't know that I see paying 2x as much as a very nice AR for one.
    ...and, really, the only thing wrong with the AR's ergos is the charging handle, and even that can be mitigated with the right aftermarket part.

Sincerely,
    Tamara (ex-AK-owner, ex-HK91-owner, ex-FAL-owner, ex-Daewoo-DR200-owner, ex-Beretta-AR70-owner, ex-M14-owner, ex... well, whatever ...owner, still-current-DI-AR-owner.)

It's called evolution. What do you think you'd be getting out of the SCAR/ACr over the AR? How much carbine training do you have?
    #RESIST

Does the SCAR 16S count?

I've only got 4.7k through mine. Was there anything in particular you wanted to know?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    ...and, really, the only thing wrong with the AR's ergos is the charging handle, and even that can be mitigated with the right aftermarket part.

Sincerely,
    Tamara (ex-AK-owner, ex-HK91-owner, ex-FAL-owner, ex-Daewoo-DR200-owner, ex-Beretta-AR70-owner, ex-M14-owner, ex... well, whatever ...owner, still-current-DI-AR-owner.)
    I'm not a fan of the bolt release (far moreso than the charging handle), personally. Some of the aftermarket parts from companies like Magpul help, but it's a bandaid.

Quote Originally Posted by commandar View Post
    I'm not a fan of the bolt release (far moreso than the charging handle), personally. Some of the aftermarket parts from companies like Magpul help, but it's a bandaid.
    Y'know, I never had a problem with the bolt release when I was still using a front-of-the-magwell hold...

About 3K rounds through SCAR 16S, about 750 through SCAR 17s. Few things are better than with AR, few things are worse; all depends on one's preferences.

I'm actually a big fan of the general layout of the ACR... now if they can just get the rest of the gun squared-away we'd really have something...

I also happen to be a big fan of the DI system in the AR.

YVK,

The SCAR is the first one that's really interested me; the only things that hold me back are price and the lack of aftermarket support.

User Tag List