Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Moment Series with John Holschen

Tactical Moment Series with John Holschen

Since I just made another post involving some stuff I heard from John, it made me think of this video series. I think I posted the first video quite some time ago, but they've done a lot more since and don't recall having seen them posted. Figure some might find them interesting. I found them nice refresher in conjunction with class notes, etc. Hoping Hamilton does a video or two at some point too.
    Video 1: Grip
    Video 2: Sight Picture
    Video 3: Ready Position
    Video 4: Tactical Reload
    Video 5: Movement
    Video 6: Drawing from Concealment, Part 1
    Video 7: Drawing from Concealment, Part 2
    Video 8: Optimized Use of Cover

I've taken lots of classes with Insights and enjoyed every one. I just watched the Movement video and as always, great info from Holschen.

Am I just a an old fuddy duddy or is crappy multi-camera multi-angle editing and and rotating the camera as annoying to everyone else as it is to me? I don't expect dolly shots and crane flyins but what does rotating the camera 45 degrees while John is talking do for the message of the video.

Is this what kids growing up with Blair Witch and Transformers expect from film production these days?

Back to watching the rest of the videos, if I can stand it.

Gringop (eat a donkey kitten, Jerry Bruckheimer )
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    I've taken lots of classes with Insights and enjoyed every one. I just watched the Movement video and as always, great info from Holschen.

Am I just a an old fuddy duddy or is crappy multi-camera multi-angle editing and and rotating the camera as annoying to everyone else as it is to me? I don't expect dolly shots and crane flyins but what does rotating the camera 45 degrees while John is talking do for the message of the video.

Is this what kids growing up with Blair Witch and Transformers expect from film production these days?

Back to watching the rest of the videos, if I can stand it.

Gringop (eat a donkey kitten, Jerry Bruckheimer )
    It's not just you. I can't stand that kind of obnoxious camera-work, especially when we just want a good view of what is going on.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    It's not just you. I can't stand that kind of obnoxious camera-work, especially when we just want a good view of what is going on.
    I must be corrupted by too much MTV. I don't recall even noticing it--though to be fair I've watched other videos where overly 'stylized' camera work frustrated me.

Quote Originally Posted by zacbol View Post
    I must be corrupted by too much MTV. I don't recall even noticing it--though to be fair I've watched other videos where overly 'stylized' camera work frustrated me.
    Sorry I realize I sounded like I was talking about the videos you posted - I was not. I haven't watched them yet. I was agreeing with Gringop about camera work in general.
    Lord of the Food Court

After watching the rest of the series, I can say that the Movement one was the worst re. annoying camera work.

I had forgotten so much of the Insights TTPs since I took the classes so long ago. The Use Of Cover one was a great refresher, gonna have to practice that next time I'm at the range.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Ok, watched the videos and they were pretty good. I was mildly annoyed by the camera work. Not that big a deal though.
    Lord of the Food Court

Was a pretty long hiatus but John seems to be making them again:

#9 Stoppages: http://youtu.be/-1iQNj8A1ww
    #10 Shot Placement (Really liked this one) http://youtu.be/VeWC1iiKnS4

I would take a class on how to tie my shoes from John, because it would be interesting and I'd learn something.

He is one of the best instructors out there, easily.

User Tag List