Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ-friendly HD shotgun?

I like the M2, but despite what Benelli says it is pain operated. M4 is heavy and finicky as to what ammo it functions with. TX Storm is my favorite shotgun -- lightweight, functions a wide range of loads, soft shooting and best stock I have used on a shotgun. 1301 is new but initial reports are good, and it is available unlike the Storm.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Timely as I have a friend here in Kalifornia also looking for a shotgun. Guy is recoil sensitive and I'm partial to semi-autos so that is the direction I'm pushing him.

I have an 11-87P which has seemed to eat everything I've put through it, including cheap Walmart field loads, but they seem a little hard to come by. The Benelli's are sexy looking, and the guy is not price sensitive, but he would like to be able to convert it from tactical/sd mode to field/hunting mode. Are there any Benelli's that can do this?

I've also thought about the Beretta 1301 as it looks fairly easily convertible.

Any thoughts on the FN SLP guns?

Please do drop me a PM with what you currently own. Not saying you're stupid, it's just that there's a lot of misinformation out there about what is "banned." With the exception of pinning my IMOD stock, my 14.5" AR15 is exactly the same as I'd have it in any other state.

You also don't have to give up your JHP ammo, if someone has told you they're illegal here.

Where are you moving to?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    Take this advice for what it is worth (nothing, basically) but...

If I were to move to NJ, I would probably just get a Sully Stock for my AR, and a ban-legal barrel (no threads or other evil items) and run 15 round mags. That's infinitely better than a shotgun, in my humble opinion.
    You've never had a humble opinion in your life.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

A friend is running a Remington Versamax 12 gauge hard in three gun matches. He has been very happy with it. It seems to getting a lot of favorable reviews

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Any thoughts on the FN SLP guns?
    I don't own one, but I borrowed a MK1 for a season to shoot 3-gun.

The SLP comes in two versions; the SLP which has a 18" barrel and ghost ring sights and the SLP MK1 which has a 22" barrel and flip up rifle sights. Both have provisions for mounting an optic. Both come with a heavy and light pistons. The MK1, when new, wouldn't run light birdshot or reduced recoil loads with the light piston and took a few hundred hot loaded rounds to break in. There is supposedly a sporting clays piston out for a Winchester SX2 that will help with that issue. Like the Benelli, the lifter will take your thumb nail off if you're not careful. If it was my gun, I would have the lifter welded.

Once the gun was broken in, it ran bulk Federal birdshot and reduced recoil slugs like a champ.

I looked for a 18" SLP for a while, but never found one. The MK1 is much more prevalent.

Please do drop me a PM with what you currently own.
    Excellent idea and certainly a gracious offer.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by epete View Post
    Once the gun was broken in, it ran bulk Federal birdshot and reduced recoil slugs like a champ.

I looked for a 18" SLP for a while, but never found one. The MK1 is much more prevalent.
    I ran a borrowed SLP in last year's Midnight 3 Gun match and was pleasantly surprised to not have to clear any malfunctions despite the gamer birdshot loads.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Excellent idea and certainly a gracious offer.
    Yeah. We're going to give his homestead a proper NJ five-finger welcome. Lol.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Yeah. We're going to give his homestead a proper NJ five-finger welcome. Lol.
    I grew up in NJ (Jackson... went to Rutgers New Brunswick) yet I'm somehow unfamiliar with said "five-finger welcome"... though I do recall the single-finger salute quite well...

I'll be moving to the Cherry Hill/Haddonfield/Moorestown area. Haven't found a place yet.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

User Tag List