Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: NJ-friendly HD shotgun?

A FPID card is only required to purchase, correct. It is not needed to shoot or transport a gun to an FFL/gunsmith/range/ect, provided you don't make any unnecessary intermediate stops.

NRA-ILA

Lots of misconceptions about it (along with people who think you need to register your guns and that JHPs are strictly illegal) but most of the ranges seem to understand the operative word in Firearms Purchasers ID. Be aware, however, that if you don't have an FPID you can't even finger-bang a gat at your favored venue of arms sales.

Without an FPID you cannot buy pistol ammo in person in NJ. However, you can order online and have ammo shipped to your house (unless that changed recently, which I haven't heard). Some vendors won't do it unless you fax them a copy of your FPID. Ammotogo, Cabelas, and Sportsman's Guide do not, as it's something to do with the fact that NJ cannot regulate interstate commerce, only the sales of ammo inside their borders. Completely legal. My UPS guy got tired of hauling 50lbs of ammo to the porch, however.

You may also want to consider shooting in PA. There's a few ranges in Philly, as well as Ready, Aim, Fire in Bristol (rsa-otc used to be a member) and Classic Pistol in Southampton (I used to be a member).
    Last edited by TGS; 09-12-2013 at 12:01 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Thanks!

It's funny, but the challenge for me is the misconceptions on the parts of others more than anything else. For example, I went to put in an ammo order, and some of my favorite places won't ship, no doubt because they either can't figure the laws out or don't want to bother. And I *keep* hearing this JHP thing, and I know it's not what people say it is... but it's like the "serial killer I hit with the frying pan in Act III" of gun laws myths, it seems. The more I saw some of the neurosis around the FPID, the more I was starting the doubt my understanding of it... Ah well, what'cha gonna do?

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

Site Supporter
    I just wanted to take a second and apologize to Tam and RSA-OTC. I could've stated my concerns in a much more graceful and constructive way.

It's easy to blast someone on an Internet forum with anonymity with complete disregard for that person. I dislike it when I see it, and I definitely disapprove it in my own conduct as a Christian. So I figured in the same venue try to redeem it.

Thanks for understanding and God Bless,

Brandon.

Quote Originally Posted by jmjames View Post
    Thanks!

It's funny, but the challenge for me is the misconceptions on the parts of others more than anything else. For example, I went to put in an ammo order, and some of my favorite places won't ship, no doubt because they either can't figure the laws out or don't want to bother. And I *keep* hearing this JHP thing, and I know it's not what people say it is... but it's like the "serial killer I hit with the frying pan in Act III" of gun laws myths, it seems. The more I saw some of the neurosis around the FPID, the more I was starting the doubt my understanding of it... Ah well, what'cha gonna do?

J.Ja
    Print out some of those links from the NJ State Police Website, they can be helpful clearing up the confusion of others. Especially some of NJ's LEO's who have their own incorrect assumptions.

There are some outdoor ranges within striking distance of your location in NJ:

South Jersey Shooting Club - outside of Hammonton
    http://sjerseyshootingclub.com/

They have a 100 and 300 yard Rifle bays as well as pistol bays. More of a commercial enterprise but it is clean and well maintained. There is an IDPA match the 2nd Saturday each month on the back range. Usually runs about 60 rounds over 4 to 5 stages. Registration is at 8am shooting starts at 9am over between 12 to 1. I'm usually there 50% of the time when my schedule allows.

Quinton Sportsman Club - Salem County, NJ
    http://www.quintonsportsmensclub.com/

More Clubsy then commercial but well maintained and laid out. I believe their rifle range is only 100 yards. They also have Skeet, Trap & Archery ranges.
    They run an IDPA match the 3rd Saturday of the month usually 6 stages approx. 80 plus rounds. Times are very similar, they are able to run two relays at once with their layout. I shoot that match when I am unable to shoot the SJIDPA match. When I'm there they usually corral me into SOing.

Believe it or not there are a lot more shooting clubs in NJ then one would think. Lots of smaller hunting/fishing clubs that have there own small trap and centerfire ranges similar to the Pleasant Plains Gun Club my company rents to do it's training located between Fort Dix and Lakehurst Navel Air Station. If you mind your P's & Q's you shouldn't have any issues.
    Last edited by rsa-otc; 09-12-2013 at 09:27 AM. Reason: As always SPELLING
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I just wanted to take a second and apologize to Tam and RSA-OTC. I could've stated my concerns in a much more graceful and constructive way.

It's easy to blast someone on an Internet forum with anonymity with complete disregard for that person. I dislike it when I see it, and I definitely disapprove it in my own conduct as a Christian. So I figured in the same venue try to redeem it.

Brandon.
    Dude don't sweat it. Totally understand how easy it is to come off wrong with this new age tech, such as email, texting and of course forums. Sometimes you only have time to jot off a quick note and it can come off totally different than how you actually meant it. Been there, done that, I have a closet full of those t-shirts. Of course it doesn't help that English composition wasn't my best subject in school and writing is a chore. More a math science guy.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    Believe it or not there are a lot more shooting clubs in NJ then one would think. Lots of smaller hunting/fishing clubs that have there own small trap and centerfire ranges similar to the Pleasant Plains Gun Club my company rents to do it's training located between Fort Dix and Lakehurst Navel Air Station. If you mind your P's & Q's you shouldn't have any issues.
    Not only a lot of shooting ranges up here, but for the most part they're all nice, as well. Pretty much any range I ever went to in Virginia, including the NRA range, was either outright ghetto or disappointing compared to most ranges up here, and there's lots of them. At least 10 within an hour of me, including ranges out to 600 open any day you want and a 24/7 indoor pistol range (that's where BaiHu and future Mrs Baihu go shooting when insomnia kicks in).
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post

Brandon.
    That was the most gracious thing I've seen on the internet in a long time.

No worries; it's all cool.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    That was the most gracious thing I've seen on the internet in a long time.

No worries; it's all cool.
    Tam once again you said it better than me and did it in fewer words as well. I bow to the master.
    Scott

Thanks for the pointers to the ranges!

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

User Tag List