Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Defoor on Mindset

When I was 18 one of my mentors said "you don't have to be that good, you have to be willing."
    He was good and believed it was necessary to train to be good. The really daunting thing about him was that he was always willing to kill an attacker by any means possible.

Quote Originally Posted by CR78 View Post
    For those of you that have heard Defoor's mindset lecture in person, how does it vary from the video? I've read AAR's that say the mindset lecture alone is worth taking the class for, and it always seemed that the content was sacred, for lack of a better word,...something discussed only between those who have taken the class. I'm somewhat surprised to see KD create a video discussing it, though the content is clearly abbreviated. His pistol course is definitely at the top of my list.
    The one he gave in the video is like a blue print of the one he gives in his class. The one from the class had a lot more real world examples that really drove the points home.
    No sh*t it has changed the way I look at all aspects of my life.

He told us in the class that so many guys have started to miss speak about the lecture (which he made sure to say that he did not come up with on his own) that he wanted to get it out there in its true form.

There is nothing wrong with saying that hey this sh*ts not for me, just don't be the guy who heart is only half way into it. IMO before you every start carrying a gun, you really need to have your line in the sand.
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 09-04-2013 at 06:42 AM. Reason: profanity

Quote Originally Posted by zacbol View Post
    There was a lot of good stuff there. The only part I didn't much care for was the example Defoor used when explaining his idea that one should 'Die well'. I understood him to imply I have some intrinsic duty to protect the lives of others. To me, my first duty is to protect my family, be a provider to them and be a father to my son. The lives of others are secondary to that. Rather than rush in (in his example), I would get my family to a safe area (assuming they were with me) and then call the police and be a good witness. Call that cowardice or callousness if you wish but I'm not a cop and I have no duty to protect the lives of others. Now, if the life of someone I love was at stake, it's a whole different ball game.

And I should add, I don't judge someone for viewing things as he does, I just have different priorities.
    I understand where you are coming from. I agree that is our primary responsibility.

However, in the case of an active shooter, homicide bomber, or an armed person otherwise blocking escape--what if my family is there without me? A person acting on their behalf is a godsend.

I am going "in" if it's happening within my purview. I do it because you don't pull that kitty litter in my AO. I do it because of others who would do it for me if I wasn't there. BTDT.

Unless, of course, it's happening to a group that asks for it. Been There, Was Simply a Good Witness For That.

User Tag List