Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Defoor on Mindset

Defoor on Mindset

Short vid that covers a lot of ground. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPCqMo9TCg

His "die well" tenets are pretty strong sauce.
    Last edited by JHC; 08-02-2013 at 11:13 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Good video from an excellent trainer. Had that lecture from him in person.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Heard the Feeder/Receiver stuff from Tom Kier back in 2002. Good wisdom, I've forgotten.

Cookie Monster

Powerful stuff. The "die well" part reminded me of a story that I think I read on www.odmp.org which is the Officer Down Memorial Page. A female officer arrived at a residence to handle a call. Almost immediately after exiting her vehicle, she was ambushed and fatally wounded by a shotgun blast. Despite being fatally wounded, she returned fire and made a 15 yard headshot on her attacker. The attacker was killed instantly. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

Thanks for posting that. Defoor is definitely on my short list of people to train with.

That applies to more than self protection...

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    The sad thing is that there are thousands out there who would call this nothing but a bunch of wannabe fantasy.

I was at a class taught by Alexis Artwohl on dealing with OISs when she said out loud in the middle of class "Don't just train to survive, you need to train to prevail. If you fall short of victory then hopefully you'll at least survive, but if you can't survive then take the motherfucker with you, don't make your family sit through a murder trial".

Deleted
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

There was a lot of good stuff there. The only part I didn't much care for was the example Defoor used when explaining his idea that one should 'Die well'. I understood him to imply I have some intrinsic duty to protect the lives of others. To me, my first duty is to protect my family, be a provider to them and be a father to my son. The lives of others are secondary to that. Rather than rush in (in his example), I would get my family to a safe area (assuming they were with me) and then call the police and be a good witness. Call that cowardice or callousness if you wish but I'm not a cop and I have no duty to protect the lives of others. Now, if the life of someone I love was at stake, it's a whole different ball game.

And I should add, I don't judge someone for viewing things as he does, I just have different priorities.

Good video. He's in NC in October. I'd love to get in a course.

I took the "Die Well" more philosophically. I don't think he's suggesting going John Mcclane on them, but more that if you have the "willingness" to help others that cannot help themselves, then you should.

Keeping in mind, of course, he is a decorated SEAL with real world combat experience. I would bet that he teaches to the same standards that were/are expected of him though.
    Last edited by BoppaBear; 08-02-2013 at 07:39 PM.

User Tag List