Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Silencer Questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    If ever there was a time to buy once, buy right, cry once.........this is it.
    Very well, and I agree. Hence, why I started this thread.

One can, for a 5.56 carbine that'll see heavy use - what is your recommendation?

Since I really don't have a need for swapping the can out to a bunch of rifles, the QD feature seemed like yet another potential point of failure that I don't need...

I'm actually willing to wait a while until I can put the cash together for a high quality can, but, I don't want to spend extra money to get features that add complication for features that I won't use (such as, swapping the can to different rifles).

Realistically, this can is going on one carbine, and staying on that carbine until it gets shot out. Given those parameters, what should I be looking at, disregarding the cost aspect?

Thanks for your input - it is much appreciated.

Because of the bureaucratic, illogical, asinine nanny state I live in I have no experience at purchasing individual cans; on the other hand I've had the opportunity to deal with agency purchases of multiple suppressors. Based on this, I would strongly recommend sticking with vendors that have proven track records and good reputations with demanding end-users. We have had very good experiences with Sure-Fire, Gemtech, and Ops Inc.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

One option you might look into is someone who will let you start your paperwork while your item is on layaway. Several shops in Ohio will let you do that, and request that 10-30% be paid to start paperwork and that the rest be paid off by the time the paperwork comes back. The current wait time (as of last week) is 3 months to go pending and nine months from pending to approval. In essence, you have a full year now before you can pick up your item. Why not buy the absolute best, make a down payment, start the paperwork and then pay off the rest as you wait for the next year?

Quote Originally Posted by joshrunkle35 View Post
    One option you might look into is someone who will let you start your paperwork while your item is on layaway. Several shops in Ohio will let you do that, and request that 10-30% be paid to start paperwork and that the rest be paid off by the time the paperwork comes back. The current wait time (as of last week) is 3 months to go pending and nine months from pending to approval. In essence, you have a full year now before you can pick up your item. Why not buy the absolute best, make a down payment, start the paperwork and then pay off the rest as you wait for the next year?
    Oh man, that would be like crack.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Oh man, that would be like crack.
    It is. Ask me how I know

It is. Ask me how I know
    Clarification: I know things about addictions to buying lots of silencers, not addictions to crack

With all of the discussion around durability I'm now curious:

What is the expected life of a quality 5.56 can? Does barrel length have a major impact?

It isn't that I don't have the money. I *could* go buy whatever can I want, right now. The issue is that I *shouldn't* spend that money on a can, now, later, or ever, so paying off a can versus buying one right now is a non-issue for me.

The issue is that I'm not interested in spending extra money to get the Q/D feature, when I really don't ever forsee taking the can off the host rifle, much less switching it around, etc, and from my perspective, the more parts you have, the more likely at least one of them is to fail, so I don't see what makes a Q/D can the "absolute best", unless the can itself is made better, which is what I'm trying (unsuccesfully, it seems) to ascertain.

I want a rock solid can, with good durability, and that is suitable for real-world use, rather than a "hobby" grade item. That's it. If I have to go to a Q/D mounting system, in order to get into a good can, then that is what I have to do, but I'm not interested in a can for the purpose of having the Q/D. The purpose of my starting the thread, was to find out from those with more experience than myself, what they would recommend as a good rock solid can, and, from there, if I need to get a q/d mounting can, in order to get a high quality can.
    Last edited by Dan_S; 08-02-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Have you called the manufacturers?

Pretty much any suppressor we've seen from Sure-Fire, Ops Inc, or Gemtech has proven to be high quality and durable...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Have you called the manufacturers?

Pretty much any suppressor we've seen from Sure-Fire, Ops Inc, or Gemtech has proven to be high quality and durable...
    I talked to a friend of mine (he's a gun nut, and has a very solid background as an engineer and machinist) for several years about this very issue, but his take is from the design perspective, rather than actual experience with cans, so as you can imagine, that doesn't tell me much about what I want, as the stupid guy that just wants to put the thing on the end of his gun barrel, and use it... The various "316" stainless, "fusion welded", "inconel", and other manufacturing gibberish tells me nothing.

Realistically, I don't understand what I'm looking at in terms of cans, hence my apprehensiveness about purchasing something of which I'm completely basing my choices upon advice received from people that have actually used cans in practical environments. Given that, when Sean_M and you drop "hints", I'm apt to sit up and take notice, but at the same time, I want to make sure that it's understood what my precise concerns are, and if those concerns have any merit or not.

User Tag List