Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Silencer Questions...

Dan--I haven't had one of the TBAC 223 cans in hand but if they're built like the big 30P1, the quality and precision will be superb. But really who cares about that in a can for a fighting AR? I just want a durable can that has a repeatable POI shift.

I have a SF Mini that I paid $1050 for, not counting the QD mounts, and would choose it over a TBAC 223.

Those Gemtech cans look good and seem to get good reviews. Have you asked on M4carbine forum?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Dan--I haven't had one of the TBAC 223 cans in hand but if they're built like the big 30P1, the quality and precision will be superb. But really who cares about that in a can for a fighting AR? I want a durable can that has a repeatable POI shift.

I have a SF Mini that I paid $1050 for, not counting the QD mounts, and would choose it over a TBAC 223.

Those Gemtech cans look good and seem to get good reviews. Have you asked on M4carbine forum?
    No, I try to limit my asking for advice on forums to a bare minimum....

I guess basically, what I was trying to ask would be better worded in this way: would something such as the Surefire or TBAC realistically be more rugged than the Gemtech? I know it is an oversimplification, but....it's all inconel and stainless steel, so what sets one apart from the next...? Does it really matter that much if one is "fully welded" and the other is "fusion welded"?

All I'm after is a can that'll last me for the next few years of pretty hard use - not bragging points for what can I do or do not have....

My understanding and experience suggests that the mount is often a weak link. Eg AAC has changed their QD design multiple times because of problems with inconsistent POI shift. Also some manufacturers claim that their designs may prevent a baffle strike from exiting the side of the can (and possible hitting someone). As well there's the claimed dB reduction, and that varies depending on who does the testing. I don't care that much personally about it, as long as I can fire without earpro.

So, what are you paying for in say a SF over a Trek? The mount, maybe a debatable safety feature, and a company that's got a pretty good CS record and a lot of gear in use by mil operators. Is it worth $500? If you don't need a QD mount, probably not. Will a brake/QD mount double the service life of a can over a thread-on? Good question. I'm not sure, but for a 14-16" barrel I doubt it. SBR? Maybe?

I'm not sure about how much of a difference the welding makes. Gemtech has a solid rep, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their cans.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 08-01-2013 at 04:04 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    My understanding and experience suggests that the mount is often a weak link. Eg AAC has changed their QD design multiple times because of problems with inconsistent POI shift. Also some manufacturers claim that their designs may prevent a baffle strike from exiting the side of the can (and possible hitting someone). As well there's the claimed dB reduction, and that varies depending on who does the testing. I don't care that much personally about it, as long as I can fire without earpro.

So, what are you paying for in say a SF over a Trek? The mount, maybe a debatable safety feature, and a company that's got a pretty good CS record and a lot of gear in use by mil operators. Is it worth $500? If you don't need a QD mount, probably not. Will a brake/QD mount double the service life of a can over a thread-on? Good question. I'm not sure, but for a 14-16" barrel I doubt it. SBR? Maybe?

I'm not sure about how much of a difference the welding makes. Gemtech has a solid rep, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their cans.

Cool. Thanks for your input. I'm not sure how much I'm overthinking this, but, I guess I am to some degree....

I've run my Ranger 2 hard on a 10.5" for 2 years now with no appreciable blast baffle erosion.
    If you can afford the ammo to wear one out, you can afford to buy a spare.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I have four GemTech suppressors, and reps from AAC, AWC, Sure-Fire, KAC, and Ops Inc.

I like direct thread on for guns that don't/won't see duty in both suppressed/un-suppressed modes.

QD's with muzzle brakes/flash hiders are good if you need/want to go between suppressed and un-suppressed regularly.

Every single manufacturer has had issues with their suppressors, mounts, brakes, flash hiders, whatever. Most have turned in some good examples of quality sound suppressors. All claim certain amounts of reduction, but there is no standardized formula or method of measurement. Meaning they can claim pretty much whatever they want. I have more GemTech's than any others because the dealer price on them is really hard to beat.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Going to go try out a Trek-T early next week. Figured since I have the opportunity, I'd go shoot that one before I buy one....

All I'll say is this... You saaaaaay you don't want to put it on another gun... but..... You will. Suppressors are more addictive than crack. Options are always worth the extra coin, in my opinion. Glad I went with something versatile the first time.

Gemtech G5. Works on three of my rifles.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    All I'll say is this... You saaaaaay you don't want to put it on another gun... but..... You will. Suppressors are more addictive than crack. Options are always worth the extra coin, in my opinion. Glad I went with something versatile the first time.

Gemtech G5. Works on three of my rifles.
    Thanks. Just what I need is another addiction that I can't afford.

I seriously won't be swapping this can around, believe it or not. I totally get what you are saying though, and if money weren't so tight right now, I'd totally get something a little more easily swappable (and probably a .308 can at that, so I could use it on my .243 as well).

I run my AAC with the T51 Ratchet flash hider on all but one of my 5.56 rifles. My precision 556 is set up for the Ops Inc. I run a GemTech Sandstorm Ti .30 cal suppressor on my .300 Win Mag precision rifle, and both of my .300 BLK's. I get a lot more versatility out of the suppressors by being able to mount to a variety of host weapons.

The T51 is obviously a very simple QD method. The Ops Inc is even simpler, just screwing on over an externally threaded muzzle brake. But the Sandstorm is a direct thread on suppressor, and I don't have any issues with any of the three hosts, or mounting it. No, I don't have a brake or flash hider, but I have the option of shooting suppressed, and it's not like I can shoot all three rifles at the same time.

I get that money is tight, but I'd advise against giving into the "Right Now" impulses and urges. You are limiting yourself to what you can afford right now, and having watched many folks go down the same road, I know that it generally ends up in a little town called "Disappointment". They usually gas up, and turn around to head down the road they should have taken in the first place, where selecting the right tool/toy to meet the objective(s), not necessarily the budget of what was in the wallet at that moment. If ever there was a time to buy once, buy right, cry once.........this is it.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

User Tag List