Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Silencer Questions...

Silencer Questions...

OK, I'm finally in a position where I can seriously look at buying a .223 silencer, after wanting one for years.

Problem is, budgetary concerns prevent me from just buying a Surefire or Knights Armament can, so....

I'll try to outline exactly what me specific needs are, and then you can go from there in your advisement.

This can is going to go on a 16 inch Colt carbine. I'm not planning to swap the can from rifle to rifle - just put it on, and leave it on. The carbine will get fairly hard use, and will be carried regularly in vehicles and on foot, so I'm not wanting a can that I need to worry about loosening up on me if it gets beat on fairly regularly. Overall length added, weight added, etc, is not a primary concern for me, as much as getting a rock-solid can. I'm not eager to get into expensive proprietary mounting systems, so hence my interest in a thread-on can (that I would probably loctite so the can wouldn't spin off, if need be) but if I need to reconsider my take on that, to get into a really rugged can, so be it. Basically, I want something that is simple, and rugged.

I'm not expecting hollywood-level quietness out of the can - I do have some passing experience with cans in the past, but not nearly enough to base the purchase of a can on, but I'm pretty realistic about how quiet (or not) the can will be...

As of right now, I have been looking at the Gemtech Trek (the AAC Ranger 3 seems to be unobtainium, and I can't seem to track down a Ranger 2) or possibly a Gemtech HALO, so that you have some idea what I've been looking at.

I do not plan on, nor is it even possible for me, financially, to simply buy a can, try it for a while, and then get somethign better in a year or so if I don't like it, so I'm wanting to make sure I get something decent the first time around.

Thanks in advance!

I have both the Trek and the Ranger-2 and either one will meet your needs.
    I use a stainless Nord-Lock washer to keep them from backing off.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I have both the Trek and the Ranger-2 and either one will meet your needs.
    I use a stainless Nord-Lock washer to keep them from backing off.
    I'll check into the nord-lock washer solution. Thanks!

As far as the differences between the Trek and Ranger 2 - if you were to select one, which one would you choose (if either one has an edge over the other) and why?

Thanks again!

There is no real difference between the two, so i'd buy whichever was available and cheaper at the time.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    There is no real difference between the two, so i'd buy whichever was available and cheaper at the time.
    Perfect. Thanks.

A thread-on can is a good way to go if you plan on keeping it mounted most of the time, and may save a small amount of weight too. One advantage of a QD/brake is that it will vent gas to the side and reduce erosion of the first couple of baffles. So for a very high round count gun, you might save $ in the long run.

The Halo is ridiculously kittening heavy. I can't recommend it unless you are huge and like swinging around heavy things on the end of your gun.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I really like these guys. Worth a look. I have a BA30 I use on my Colt, and on my 6.5 Creed. Supper cool.

Thunderbeast Arms

Quote Originally Posted by JFK View Post
    I really like these guys. Worth a look. I have a BA30 I use on my Colt, and on my 6.5 Creed. Supper cool.

Thunderbeast Arms
    Agree. I have a 30P-1. The TBAC 223A looks good. But costwise they're not that much cheaper than a SF Mini.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

-edit-
    Last edited by Dan_S; 08-01-2013 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Agree. I have a 30P-1. The TBAC 223A looks good. But costwise they're not that much cheaper than a SF Mini.
    Looking over the Thunderbeast can, I'm not sure what sets it apart with say, for example, a Gemtech Trek.

The specifications list is pretty vague, so for someone like me, that isn't really sure what they're looking at anyway it is pretty confusing as to what would make the TBAC 223A a better choice than the Gemtech Trek (which is looking like a pretty good option to me right now, at $550 instead of $950...)

If there's that much of a difference in quality, I don't mind waiting a few extra months until I can get the extra cash for the more expensive can, but realistically, what makes it worth the extra $400....?

User Tag List